Worst beer you have ever made/had.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaState

Reaction score
What is it?

I would have to say my least favorite beer that I have ever had would have to be "Hop Wrangler". It's a local beer from Iowa that tasted very very bad. Almost like grass.

Great Divide Denver Pale Ale. Apparently it's won awards and such, so either I got a bad bottle or someone out there is mischievously crazy. Tasted like licking baby powder out of a diaper.

That was exactly my thoughts with the "hop wrangler" it won an award as well, so maybe I just got a bad bottle. But it was sick, I think that is the only beer I had to dump down the drain haha.

Sam Adams Infinium. Disgustingly buttery, stale cider-like mess. I bought one bottle of it that I tried tonight, and got another bottle for Christmas which now I'm going to try to get rid of.

Sam Adams Infinium. Disgustingly buttery, stale cider-like mess. I bought one bottle of it that I tried tonight, and got another bottle for Christmas which now I'm going to try to get rid of.
i'll trade you a homebrew for it! Hell, i'll even toss a few bucks in. :D

Great Divide Denver Pale Ale. Apparently it's won awards and such, so either I got a bad bottle or someone out there is mischievously crazy. Tasted like licking baby powder out of a diaper.

Ooh...I got a bottle for Christmas. I'll try it tomorrow night to see what licking baby powder out of a diaper is like and report back...

The homebrew I just tapped...

It stopped fermenting early (I think there were temp control issues)... It's my first AG brew.. a kit IPA... 10G batch... put a different yeast in each carboy...

It's only been 13 days since I pitched the yeast, and I'm already drinking it.. So it definitely didn't have enough time...

It's also warm (44 degrees), cuz my kegerator iced up.. defrosting now... Temp swings in general have been pretty extreme this winter...

Anyways, like most beers tapped too early, I'm sure it will get better before it's all drank up.. meanwhile the other 5G of this batch is still fermenting...

Last nite, I ran out of that wonderful APA I made before this batch, and this beotch stopped fermenting, so I forced carbed it and had at it..

But it's drinkable..... and I've 'definitely' had worse bought off of store shelves..

One of the things that exacerbated it though, is that I tried this after one of the best bottles of stone IPA I've ever had (Here's a tip... stick your bottled beer in a large cooler full of ice and leave the cooler out in sub 20 degree weather for a month).. You want to see a 'crystal clear' beer? That's how!)

Am I the only one that notices there is often a lot of inconsistency in the quality of stone beers lately? Man, when they're 'on,' they're absolutely the best.. but they seem to have more off quality 'duds' than any beer I've ever drank... over the last year or so anyways...

A skunked 6er of Magic Hat #9 from Wal-Mart. The predominant flavor brought to mind a bottle of Grolsch that had been in the back window of a car for 3 years, if somehow the Grolsch had a heavy addition of Brown Malt. I emailed Magic Hat's customer service to report improper handling of their product and they FedEx'ed me a package to send the other bottles back for testing and sent me a T-shirt and sticker for my troubles. Unfortunately, the correspondence was delayed for several weeks while I was out of state and I had already dumped the rest of the 6er before I knew they wanted it for testing. Would have been nice to know what they thought the issue was. I took it as a lesson to not buy a specialty beer from a business that built its business model on selling to the masses. If in a Wally-world its the High Life for me.

I just drank one of these. I think you got a bad bottle my friend. I loved it.

There was this green chili beer at the base of Taos one day for lunch. That may be the only 12oz beer I never finished. And I was fresh out of college, lol.

Ron

Commercial has to be Leinenkugel's Berry Weisse. Wheat beer mixed with blue gatorade would have tasted better than this swill. I like most of the other Leinenkugel beers but this was just undrinkable.

The worst beer I've ever had has to be a homebrew I was given at a club judging. We have a club policy of never giving less than a 19 to any beer. "They put malt and hops in a pot with yeast and boiled they deserve at least a 19," says our competition coordinator. This beer got a 6. I couldn't force myself to swallow the beer it was so bad. Think rotted cabbage mixed with formaldehyde with a spritzer of vomit. Thankfully the beer had been brought back as a non-winner from Blue Bonnet and didn't belong to any of our club members (that they will admit to).

Unibroue Quelque Chose:

Appearance: Brilliant red/brown ale, looks like fresh brewed iced tea. No carbonation.

Aroma: Medicinal cherry, tart: Uh oh...

Flavor: Medicinal cherry cough syrup. Yuck. Is this really what was intended?

Mouthfeel: Who cares… I can’t put any more in my mouth to see what the body is like

Overall: Not sure what Unibroue was thinking. This stuff is terrible. I’d rather have a wine cooler. 0/50

Brewdog Tokyo, man that **** is horrible. That was an expensive drain pour.

I brewed a homebrew with too much Amber which turned out dreadful and was drain poured after about 3-4 months of hoping it would mellow out, I decided I wanted to use the budget barrel again and dumped it. I won't count infected homebrew as that's a no brainer.

I might get best but gumball head loved the box art and the bottles and caps but just want for me.

The worst commerical beer I ever had was skunked Corona. I had sat outside for multiple cold/hot temperature swings and was in the sun unknowinly until my friends found it outside during a party. It literally tasted like the definition of a skunk.... I can taste it now. :( I admit this was my fault not the brewers.

The worst homebrew I ever had was one of my first AG trys and my 3rd beer ever. It was a Belgian Wit that tasted like jet fuel due to too high of a starting gravity and too high of a fermentation temp.

My first AG is starting to taste better now that it's had a few more days (which is what I was hoping/expecting)... Time covers over a multitude of sins.. :D

By the time it actually tastes 'great' the keg will be empty...
Que Sera, Sera...

I can tell that I want to mash the next batch at a higher temp though...

The worst commerical beer I ever had was skunked Corona. I had sat outside for multiple cold/hot temperature swings and was in the sun unknowinly until my friends found it outside during a party. It literally tasted like the definition of a skunk.... I can taste it now. :( I admit this was my fault not the brewers.

Corona is a weird beer... During summer months, I like the whole corona with lime and salt thing.. But in winter months I lose all taste for the stuff and can't stand it.. And that's when I love ales the most... I like them year round though, just more so in colder months..

I made a pumpkin ale at the beginning of summer, then we had one of the longest hottest heat waves I can remember here. My basement hovered around 80 degrees all summer, and this was before I had any sort of temperature controlled fermentation.

It's drinkable, but the esters make it taste like grapefruit ale. :cross:

I think the worst commercial beer I've ever had was O'Fallon Smoke, it was like drinking BBQ sauce.

Edit: Almost forgot, my close runner up in the category, Wild Blue (Blueberry Lager)

I remember drinking a beer that tasted like Beef Jerky but I can't remember the name.

I bought a six pack this awhile pack and hated it. Had forgotten the incident, had a Hercules off tap, wasn't bad, not my favorite, too sweet. Decided to try Titan, got a six pack, first taste and it came full circle, I do not like their beers. Far too sweet with a fruity, yeasty taste.

Boulder Brewing leaves the same taste, never liked singletrack, just tried the Hazed and Infused (nice hop aroma same sweet, fruity, yeast taste).

Something is happening up there in the mountains that doesn't jibe with my taste buds, I dig Odell, can handle New Belgium, but the rest of CO brewing is not all that great IMO.

For big events SWMBO's family like to have their parties at a country club. Last get together was June, slightly skunky Pilsner Urquell was best option oddly enough. Fast forward to this last get together this month. Extremely skunky Urquell, 99% sure from same set of bottles from the summer.

Something is happening up there in the mountains that doesn't jibe with my taste buds, I dig Odell, can handle New Belgium, but the rest of CO brewing is not all that great IMO.

Wait-- you don't like:
Aspen Brewing Company
Avery Brewing Company
Breckenridge Brewery
Bristol Brewing Company
Crested Butte Brewery
Del Norte Brewing Co.
Dillon DAM Brewery
Durango Brewing Company
Golden City Brewery
Left Hand Brewing Co.
Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery
Palisade Brewery
Silverton Brewery
Ska Brewing Co.
Steamworks Brewing Co.
and Tommyknocker Brewery ?

worst commercial was probably silver creek IPA, a local brewpub. just awful. my uncle-in-law bartends there sometimes, he got me a keg of it....i'm no beer snob, i'll drink whatever you got, and my friends are the same....but nobody could get it down. gave him back 3/4 of a keg, lol.

worst homebrew....the list is long, but distinguished. probably my latest ESB, which I brewed with really old hops, and you can tell.

There was a bottle of some homebrew at a brewday 2 years ago that you couldn't even stand to smell. I did not taste it, as I could not even get my nose close to it. Someone on here did take a taste of it though. Wish I could remember who it was...

I used to do test brews (2.5gal each) to try two different yeasts or hops ,,etc.
I had one of a pair turn out good, but the other had a noes and taste of windex

I made a beer at the beginning of last year that was just a mix of everything I called Monster Mash-Biscuit, Aromatic, Peated, and Chocolate Rye were all used.

Needless, to say, it tasted like burnt toast. I ended up changing the name to Belgium Biscuit because of that. Luckily, a friend of mine enjoyed it so that is what he drank when he came over for the next month. :D

Commercial has to be Leinenkugel's Berry Weisse. Wheat beer mixed with blue gatorade would have tasted better than this swill. I like most of the other Leinenkugel beers but this was just undrinkable.

Agreed. Thought it tasted more like a wine cooler than a beer. The wife loved it though :)

Wait-- you don't like:
<strike>Aspen Brewing Company
Avery Brewing Company
Breckenridge Brewery </strike>
Bristol Brewing Company - not tried
Crested Butte Brewery - not tried
Del Norte Brewing Co. - not tried
Dillon DAM Brewery - not tried
<strike>Durango Brewing Company</strike>
Golden City Brewery - not tried
Left Hand Brewing Co. - I can dig these, esp Polestar, disappointed in the IPA
Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery - not tried
Palisade Brewery - not tried
Silverton Brewery - not tried
Ska Brewing Co. - Good
Steamworks Brewing Co. - not tried
<strike>and Tommyknocker Brewery</strike> ?

LOL, I forgot about this.

So I have tried a few of them, not knocking their beer, could just as well be me, like I said something is not jiving with my taste buds, a few I just thought were bad.

I won't knock a beer just because I don't enjoy it, it is my specific tastes, if a beer is bad I will say it, I don't think I said any were bad, but a few on that list I won't buy or recommend.

Anything brewed by Gettys Brew, a now closed brewpub outside of Gettysburg, PA. We went there in 2004 with high expectations. Being a homebrewer, I know bad beer - I've made my share. I ordered the sampler tray - and they all tasted the same - infected. I couldn't believe they lasted until 2009.

That is a bad beer. My description was wheat beer mixed with an oversweetened berry wine cooler. I bought their sampler pack once and I only could stomach their sunset wheat (the fruity pebbles super sweet wheat beer). The summer shandy was undrinkable (beer + lemonade). And the Honey beer was bad too.

Each person that had a berry weisse poured it down the drain.

Back