Worried about Frigidaire Refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicman1789

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a freezer off of craigslist recently for $50 and got screwed, as it stopped working 2 days after I bought it.

So, I've been doing research on finding a new fridge/freezer to put my keg and CO2 tank in.

I found a lot of useful info on this site and was set on getting a 5.0cu ft chest freezer and converting it. However, SWMBO wanted to spend a little extra money and get an extra fridge.

We ended up buying: http://www.lowes.com/pd_293511-2251-FRT18L4JW_4294775583+4294789497_4294937087_?productId=1082053&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_TopFreezer%2BRefrigerators_4294775583%2B4294789497_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=10%20Off%20All%20Bosch,%20Frigidaire,%20GE%20&%20Samsung%20Appliances%20$397+

There is not enough room on the base of the fridge, so I'd have to put the keg and tank on the first glass shelf. Can a glass shelf really hold ~70lbs of equipment? Maybe I'm worrying about nothing. What's your take?

Usually the manual or sell sheet will say how much a shelf will hold. If not call the manufacturers 800 customer support and ask.

When I helped my dad build a kegerator in a normal fridge for a commercial keg, we simply built a wooden shelf using some leftover wood. We cut a length the width of the fridge and made it the height of the compressor hump. We then screwed in boards to that wood and slid the small L it formed into the fridge with the pressure now resting out new wooden support and the compressor hump, creating a much stronger shelf.

If this is unclear I can try to explain again. I can't take a picture because he lives hours away.

i have the older version of that same fridge. i too was worried about the glass shelf but for the last year i have had my 5lb co2 tank with dual regulator and at least 2 full 5 gallon kegs resting on it with no issues. you just have to be careful not to slam a keg down on to it. other than that you should be good. worst case you could build a wooden shelf very easily like the other guy mentioned

Well, what happens if it does break through? It says to not drop a CO2 tank. I'm very paranoid about this. Is there any danger if the CO2 tank breaks through the glass and falls about 6-8 inches?

worst thing that could happen is your regulator getting damaged. if you are that paranoid about it, build a wooden shelf to replace. would probably take all of 20 min and could probably use scrap material from home depot.

Back