Working hard, or hardly working?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwirthlin

Reaction score
Anyone else, pulling an all nighter in the work shop, finishing up some last minute gifts? I've got a few more things to make so I'm sure this won't be the last late night before Christmas. Put the finish on a desk top picture frame, and a cutting board tonight. Pretty happy with how they both turned out. Luckily I had a few good beers to keep me motivated.

image-1223064420.jpg

image-222030447.jpg

image-676572754.jpg

image-3853749489.jpg

Nice! But if it were me, I'd take that cutting board and run it through the table saw again - crosscut it in 3/4" strips, rotate each strip 90° (so end grain is up), and make a butcher block cutting board. It's much easier on the kitchen knives (the knife edge can slide between the end grain fibers, instead of chopping across grain)

oak(open grain wood) is not good for cutting boards, the open pores will contract food particles
I've got one in my kitchen I made from hard maple and cherry. Beautiful board, but I need to refinish it (had some minor issues with the first finish job.) Once I have time to work again, I fully plan on making a half dozen or so for Christmas gifts next year.

This one is hard maple and American walnut. I went with a side grain board as apposed to an end grain for vegetables and other non meat products. The side grain is slick and hard so your knife will glide across it better when cutting. End grain tends to grab a little more, it's fine for meat because you're typically not doing any type of fancy repetitive knife work, but for this particular board side grain was the best.

Here are two cutting boards I made back in 1996 out of birch, walnut and cherry. Made these for some family and friends.........yes they need to be cleaned.....and never, ever, ever, nerver, ever, ever put cutting boards in the dishwasher!!

photo.jpg

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
Here are two cutting boards I made back in 1996 out of birch, walnut and cherry. Made these for some family and friends.........yes they need to be cleaned.....and never, ever, ever, nerver, ever, ever put cutting boards in the dishwasher!!

Nice! Those look great, I like the thin strips of wood between each larger strip. Might have to rip that off Hahahaha.

Or a good kitchen knife, for that matter.

Do you guys have any concerns over walnut's toxicity when using it for food preparation surfaces?

negative on the toxicity.if there was I would not be typing this.

I friend of mine was the recipient of a clipboard similar to the cutting boards I made. Gotta find out how his friend glued the thin strips together as it was only 1/4" thick

Sorry all you guys that work hard . I hardly work . End dump driver hauling rocks , sand & salt . Drive around and dump and sit . Not really work except for maybe not sleeping good .

negative on the toxicity.if there was I would not be typing this.

I friend of mine was the recipient of a clipboard similar to the cutting boards I made. Gotta find out how his friend glued the thin strips together as it was only 1/4" thick
Two methods come to mind; first cutting the strips thicker than the finished clipboard and planing down to final thickness once the glue sets, or using wood cauls to span the width of the clipboard, and using at least 6 clamps (one at the top and bottom of the board, and then two on each set of cauls to hold the pieces 'flat')

Latest posts

Back