Workbench with hidden fermentation chiller.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ssroseberry

Reaction score
I got tired of the fermentation chiller just sitting out in the garage, so I built a work bench that hides the chiller. It is a black and decker chest freezer from Walmart. I put caster wheels on the bottom so it can roll out. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399934847.657959.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399934861.103455.jpg

It wasn't cheap to build and it was my first attempt at building cabinets. The top of the bench is a 2x6 butcher block top I bought from Sears for $110. This was the cheapest price I could find on one and I couldn't be happier with it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Looks nice! Just don't reach underneath for a screwdriver and come out with an airlock :)

How's the ventilation? Presumably it won't run too much but are you worried about overheating?

I scored a thin butcher block on clearance from Ikea a few years ago. Still haven't put it to use yet, but this gives me ideas.

I've got a couple of inches between wall and bench. Really not worried with it over heating since it cycles on so seldom. Not to mention when I bought it from Walmart they offered me a 3 year replacement warranty for $20. Don't usually get the warrants, but I figured $20 was worth it in this case.

I've got a couple of inches between wall and bench. Really not worried with it over heating since it cycles on so seldom. Not to mention when I bought it from Walmart they offered me a 3 year replacement warranty for $20. Don't usually get the warrants, but I figured $20 was worth it in this case.

First off, I watched a lot of YouTube videos. I used 3/4" maple plywood for the cabinet construction. I used 1x3 select pine for the face frame of the cabinet. The doors took me a while to figure out. I knew I wanted to use tin corrugated roofing for the inset of them. I also wanted to make sure they were only 3/4" thick. So here is what I did, there is probably a better way however...ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400023543.824623.jpg I used 1x3 select pine for the rails and stiles. The tin roofing material is 1/2" in depth so I used a 1/2" plunge router bit on the router table to make the grooves in the rails and stiles for the tin to slide into.

I also just finished a matching storage cabinet.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400023628.515773.jpg

Back