Wooden brewsculpture with propane burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Is there anything that needs to be done to protect the wood from burning? I'd love to make one out of metal, but I am no welder. So any tips that you can give me would be great as I start the build over Thanksgiving vacation.

I hate to be a naysayer, but this just sounds like a bad idea to me. You are building a stove out of wood. I could see maybe an electric system working, so long as you're using insulated containers for HLT, MLT, and BK. But open flame is just asking for trouble.

I hate to be a naysayer, but this just sounds like a bad idea to me. You are building a stove out of wood. I could see maybe an electric system working, so long as you're using insulated containers for HLT, MLT, and BK. But open flame is just asking for trouble.

That's what I thought too until I saw what some people were doing.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/index12.html#post1466898

The idea is still a bit concerning though... since it is wood.

If you try wood I'd recommend buying some fireproof paint.

If you don't want to weld you could bolt it together.

I know quite a few guys here have wood sculptures but I was leary and bought a metal stand. I weld, but I was also lazy. It was particularly troublesome for me because I plan to automate my brewery and may be away from the brewery for an extended period of time. I am not saying it is bad or it can't be done. All I am saying is that a wood sculpture is not for me.

it really depends on how you plan to set it up. i have a wood rig, but i mounted the burners with stand on it, so the distance between the wood and the flame is not an issue. when the boil is going or strike/sparge water is being heated, i feel fine doing other things instead of constantly watching it. i don't have any fireproof paint, metal guards or anything on it.

if i were to mount burners without metal stands on the rig, i'd do something more like scubasteve's for sure.

To say you can't build a rig out of wood is akin to saying you can't build a ship out of steel. Scuba Steve's wood rig has alway been a favorite of mine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/scubas-herms-build-36267/

Gents,

Never said I didn't want to build a wooden sculpture because I was lazy. I said I was leary of a wooden sculpture. I bought a Brew-Magic stand because I was too lazy to build one when I do weld. My wife would have a chit fit if she saw a wooden sculpture with burners in it. I am on thin ice with her and brewing as it is. What I did say is quoted below:

I am not saying it is bad or it can't be done. All I am saying is that a wood sculpture is not for me.

Here's what I built about a month ago.
The tops have 1/2" plywood.

A burner sits on the top level to heat water.
The mash tun sits on the bottom.
There's a banjo burner on the ground in front for the boil.

It's much wider than it needs to be 'cause;
it's more stable
there's room for other stuff

woodbrewrig.jpg

Brewing is so much easier now.

Not to chime in (but I am), fire resistant and proof are very different.. resistant will still burn, it just takes longer - proof will not..

But anyway - 2X4's will take some charing before producing a substained flame.. go for it.. :mug:

Not to chime in (but I am), fire resistant and proof are very different.. resistant will still burn, it just takes longer - proof will not..

But anyway - 2X4's will take some charing before producing a substained flame.. go for it.. :mug:

Lets talk about the word "Inflammable." Talk about using tricky language/grammer in a situation with possible life or death situation.

But seriously, +1 on Scuba Steve

Gents,

Never said I didn't want to build a wooden sculpture because I was lazy. I said I was leary of a wooden sculpture.

Hey Dustguy,

I understood your position and wasn't aiming at you...just the overall tone the thread was taking.

Sure a wood stand could catch fire, but everyday you make it out of bed there are risks. A wood rig should certailnly be used outside clear of anything combustible...yea, like the house.:mug:

Lets talk about the word "Inflammable." Talk about using tricky language/grammer in a situation with possible life or death situation.

But seriously, +1 on Scuba Steve

Actually, its very difficult to ignite a 2X4 due to the density - dont get me wrong, it will burn with an open flame and direct contact and a long period of time - but you'll get significant charing (or alligatoring) prior to self substaining or 'free burning' occurs.. If I remember my IFSTA correctly from the Academy days, which were a few years ago for basic fire..

But I digress.. as mine is built from welded steel...

I still say, after seeing scuba steves - build it.. just keep an eye on pyrolysis...... :D

My wife had the idea to cut beer cans open and apply them to the wood as a fire protector. This would protect the wood from the flames.

Thanks chucke for the diagram. This is pretty much what I'm going for.

No problemo.

FWIW, if I had to do it again, I would make the 2'-11" uprights 3'-4".
The mash tun needs to be a few inches higher.

Actually, its very difficult to ignite a 2X4 due to the density - dont get me wrong, it will burn with an open flame and direct contact and a long period of time - but you'll get significant charing (or alligatoring) prior to self substaining or 'free burning' occurs.. If I remember my

+1...If you've ever seen bad plumbing work then you have seen this. In fact, I had no choice but to do it myself once. When making a mod to existing copper pipe it is sometimes hard to get the pre-existing joint away from wood and sometimes have to direct the heat to sweat the joint right at the floor joice (sp?) behind it.

Please dont critique me on my practices or anything...My point is I have seen first hand (in my basement) just how "hard" it is to burn a 2x8 with direct flame!

My rig that I am building (v. 0.50) is made out of wood and I am using a LPG burner which is sunken in to the wood frame. At the most I might put a deflector around the burner, but really I think I have enough room to not harm anything.

I have been brewing on this for about 10 years now - never had anything close to a flaming wood pile. On the other hand, the CFC is built in to the underside of the table, so in an emergency, I could just pull the hose from there and put out the fire.

3205-BrewingJuly2007004.jpg

Another local HBTer who shall go nameless to protect his identity brews on an old end table with a burner sitting on top of it, with 4 stacks of bricks around the burner to support the keggle. Not only classic, but the classiest brew stand you will ever see! I will absolutely get pix during out next group brew.

I find it interesting that a community that is concerned about the possibilty that a new brewer might get bad information from reading remarks made in jest would treat fire near flammables with such non-chalance.
Not to be dramatic about the possibilites, but make sure you don't burn your house down. I am pretty confident 100,000 BTU burners in your garage are not covered by your insurance.

I find it interesting that a community that is concerned about the possibilty that a new brewer might get bad information from reading remarks made in jest would treat fire near flammables with such non-chalance.
Not to be dramatic about the possibilites, but make sure you don't burn your house down. I am pretty confident 100,000 BTU burners in your garage are not covered by your insurance.

Nah- a little common sense in the design will make a good, safe wooden brew sculptor.

I am pretty confident 100,000 BTU burners in your garage are not covered by your insurance.

Seriously? My good friend brews in his basement! All you need to worry about down there is proper ventilation. I have always brewed around wood - whether it's on my back deck or in my garage and I have never once been afraid of burning anything down. Not sure what the big scare is...

There is no exclusion for propane burners. Have had insureds start their garage/porch on fire frying Turkeys the claims were all paid.

flame + wood = not good IMO

If someone is not savvy with welding, there is some great stuff sold at Home Depot, Lowes, etc...called Unistrut. Its in the electrical department and consists of steel channel that can be cut with a hacksaw and turned into all sorts of crazy stuff. Fittings galore exist for it. You could make one hell of a setup with the stuff...

http://unistrut.com/

As far as makeing the wood flame resistant, you can use some tile, sheet steel w. fiberglass insulation, or other retardant materials that have some thermal mass and insulating properties. I would not recommend retardant paint. Heat transmission through the paint is high. You can actually get the wood on the other side of the paint to burn before the paint itself will burn. Thats why in construction we use fire retardant wood in addition to the paint...but that still doesnt make it "fire proof"

That chair is awesome!:fro:

Grandma's hand me down. It was my first set of chairs when I met my wife 20 years ago and they were vintage then.

Seriously on the flammible thing, it's not like flames are shooting randomly in every direction. I have brewed in 30 mph winds and the flame moves about an inch max. In 10 years, there is not a hint of char or even discoloration BECAUSE THE FLAME NEVER EVEN GETS CLOSE. So the only way for it to catch fire is to spontaneously combust from the proximity to heat, which for wood is approximately 1100F. I'll put my probe next to the wood next time I brew to let you know how many hundred dregrees I am short of that.

If you throw live rounds into a fire, there *will* be problems.
If you build a brew sculptor using wood and make sure the fire doesn't actually burn the wood.... different story.

Moral of the story- common sense trumps conventional wisdom.

Back