WLP550/WY3522/Imperial B45 Gnome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarter5251

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed a La Chouffe clone about 2 weeks ago, and I just checked my gravity today. There is some discrepancy between the recipe I'm using (from Gordon Strong's Modern Homebrew Recipes) and what Beersmith says my FG should come to be. In the book, the FG is expected at around 1.008, but Beersmith says it should be 1.018.

My gravity reading today came in at 1.018, so it would appear to be done according to Beersmith, but I've seen a lot about this yeast having great attenuation, so I'm still not so sure. Also, I did still have some yeast rafts floating at the top of my beer.

My fermentables are:
11 lbs. Pilsner
1 lb. D-45 Candi Syrup

I mashed according to the schedule in the book, which is 144 for 30 minutes, followed by 154 for 30 minutes. Then mashed out at 168 for 15 minutes.

I plan on letting it ride to see if it knocks off some more points, but I was wondering if this is a normal thing for this yeast strain to do?

So after sitting at 1.018 for a few weeks, I decided to call it on this batch and just transfer to keg last week. I had a sample yesterday, and while it is tasty, it is a little sweet for a Belgian golden strong and tastes a bit more like a Tripel to me.

Back