WLP400 some tartness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I just finished fermenting a Belgian Wit and the un-carbonated beer sample had a slight tartness to it. Is this expected? Hopefully it's not too pronounced in the final product... I'm hoping for something more sweet and citrusy.

I don't find WLP400 to result in something I would consider tart in any excessive manner. I'd suggest adding some baking soda prior to packaging if you want to take the edge off. Just 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon in 3-5 gallons will work wonders. Dissolve it in a couple ounces of water then pour it into the fermenter or bottling bucket. Cheers.

I don't find WLP400 to result in something I would consider tart in any excessive manner. I'd suggest adding some baking soda prior to packaging if you want to take the edge off. Just 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon in 3-5 gallons will work wonders. Dissolve it in a couple ounces of water then pour it into the fermenter or bottling bucket. Cheers.
Did you try this yourself? I always thought this would result in nasty off flavors.

Did you try this yourself? I always thought this would result in nasty off flavors.

Only in the glass, not in the fermenter, but I intend to in future. I used 1/4 teaspoon in a pint recently and it tasted a little metallic but otherwise a vast improvement over the tart mess that existed before that. And that was only a pint. Imagine what 1/2 teaspoon will do to a full batch. Not very much. Might even need a full teaspoon. I didn't consider the flavor off-putting at all. Try it sometime.

Only in the glass, not in the fermenter, but I intend to in future. I used 1/4 teaspoon in a pint recently and it tasted a little metallic but otherwise a vast improvement over the tart mess that existed before that. And that was only a pint. Imagine what 1/2 teaspoon will do to a full batch. Not very much. Might even need a full teaspoon. I didn't consider the flavor off-putting at all. Try it sometime.
Brilliant, I have the perfect beer for it on hand. Already bottled, but a good playground for sure.

Sorry, when I said package, I meant keg. I'll try it first after it's carbed. I can always add baking soda later.

Back