WLP090 San Diego Super

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glugglug

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of batches ago I wasn’t paying attention at LHBS, and I asked for WLP001 Cal Ale, which I use a ton. Noticed I bought WLP090 after I got home, and my first instinct was to go back to the shop. Second instinct was to research the yeast. I went with second instinct, and I was glad I did. Research said it was roughly the same as 001, but will clear faster, which I generally don’t care about. My beer was a first ever SMASH beer for me basically to get rid of some base malt and some Centennial hops. Had just read the Zymurgy issue about best beers in America, and so I hopped this beer like Bells Two Hearted Ale, which I’ve never had. Anyway, this yeast ripped through that wort like it was nobody’s business. It was done in about 3 days. I kegged it a week after it was brewed which I have never done before, and the final gravity was lower, I think by 2 points, than I expected. This is a low abv beer, about 4.5%.

So I saved the yeast, and a couple weeks ago I brewed my house pale ale, and I repitched this yeast. Again, it seemed to rip through the wort, beer at this point. I left this one for 2 weeks and kegged it yesterday. OG on this beer was 1.050, and it finished at 1.005. I was expecting between 1.010 to 1.012. My mash temp on this was 151. And I kept this beer between 66-68f.

Just my 2 cents. If you want to bang out a beer quickly, and cleanly, this would be at the top of my list. Btw, the SMASH beer is delicious.

This is a great yeast for nice clean (and clear) beers. My favorite house IPA (pilsner and mosaic) uses it as does the brewery I based the recipe from. Just a great performing yeast.

I too like this yeast. Works well on bigger beers also. ferment at 68 and raise to 72 at the end of fermentation. cold crash for a couple days and keg. clean beer and easy to work with.

Back