WLP029 cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisrush

Reaction score
Brewed a Texas Blonde AG from AHS yesterday, and I was hoping to reuse the yeast cake for a Munich Helles and a Kona Fire Pale Ale clone from Bier Muncher.

Should I wash the yeast between batches of beer or just pitch the subsequent wort on to the yeast cake? The Blonde used 1oz of Brewers Gold at 60' and I added it to a hop bag which held most of the hop material.

The Munich Helles calls for 1.5oz of Tett at 60' and the Kona Fire uses Cascade, Centennial and Mt Hood.

Thanks,
Chris

I've had a lot of great results from pitching right over the top. Some may disagree, but it's easy and safe as long as proper sanitation is observed.

.....Was the blond a lager?

It just looks to me like you have ales and lagers from the same cake.

That would pose a problem.

Otherwise no worries!

You just don't want to brew a BIG beer (does TEXAS blond mean BIG?;)) and then re-use the yeast.

I've had a lot of great results from pitching right over the top. Some may disagree, but it's easy and safe as long as proper sanitation is observed.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind washing the yeast, but if I can get away from just pitching on top of the yeast cake, that would be ideal.

.....Was the blond a lager?

It just looks to me like you have ales and lagers from the same cake.

That would pose a problem.

Otherwise no worries!

You just don't want to brew a BIG beer (does TEXAS blond mean BIG?;)) and then re-use the yeast.

Thanks for the info.

Texas Blonde is an ale.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=332

The OG was 1.042 (small Texas). I don't believe the Helles is a lager, and I know the Kona is an ale.

Back