Wlp002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauldoc1031

Reaction score
I'm brewing with wlp002 for the first time to make a holiday spice ale. I've read it can produce a lot of diacetyl. Anyone have a good fermentation schedule for this strain that includes a diacetyl rest. Also the best temperature for a moderately clean fermentation. I was thinking of starting at 65 for a couple days and then increasing by a degree everyday until 73 degrees is reached.

I'm getting ready to use 002 for the first time too in a stout. I would think your schedule would be fine. I was thinking the same thing. I've heard it floccs really well so it wouldn't be able to clean up after itself.

I also read giving the fermenter a little swirl might help to keep the yeast roused so it can clean up at the higher temps.

Just curious, why are you using 002 if you do not want the flavor that it imparts?

I've never had diacetyl from WLP002. Your fermentation schedule looks good. Definitely rouse the yeast a few times towards the end of fermentation - especially if you're bottling - otherwise they tend to go dormant for a while then start up again later in the bottle.

I've never had anything close to diacetyl in any brew I've made with 002. The funky tart taste that comes from British yeast, (which I've grown to detest)....tons of it.

Pitched yesterday morning and took awhile to see some signs of fermentation. Took about 18 hours or so. Not a massive krausen. I bought two fast pitches, that had a use by date for December '16, and made a starter with one and just pitched the other straight in. A little worried the yeast might not be as viable as I hoped which could be apart of the sluggishness? OG was 1.061 so two packets should be plenty but I am adding maple syrup today which will bump the OG. It's sitting in a swamp cooler and the temp being displayed on the sticky fermometer is 64* - so I'm assuming with heat from fermentation I'm around 68*-69*. Hope there's enough yeast in there to eat up everything!

Did you oxygenated your wort enough?

I only do the shake method and did it for one minute prior to pitching and then one minute after. I know it's not ideal but I just haven't bought the equipment to oxygenate.

Back