wlp 655 any good solo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Hi all, I pitched a vial of 655 early last month into a lambic type wort but I am wondering how complex it really will be by itself? Should I pitch some additional bugs or bottle dregs into it or will it turn out decent by itself? Anyone let it go by itself and have comments/feedback on it?
Thanks!

I had been sitting back on this as I don't have any experience using only a pitched blend, but adding dregs would increase the microbial diversity, especially dregs from spontaneous beers, so I would expect that to add complexity. That's not really advanced detective work on my part...

I always add dregs and/or let my more complex sour beers open cool overnight, and I think if you are shooting for the complexity of a lambic there is no way to get it with a couple pure cultures of yeast and bacteria.

I thought it was good. It even was the funkiest of the batch in my experiment where I tried bug blends with hops.

I pitched this a month or two ago on a Weiss batch I made up. It's still at a pH of 4.4 or higher just because it was in cold 60s for a while when it was in the garage. I was told it takes a year or longer to get sour which sucks being my first sour beer but that seems to be pretty usual.

I have only done one batch with WLP 655 and it isn't done yet. Seems good for a more mild Belgian sour. I pitched this and a my house clausenii culture. I'm at around 8 months with it now. I tasted it a few weeks ago. As mentioned, it was only a bit sour. Not near what I was hoping for sourwise. Everything else about it was tasty though. A pitched a bunch of dregs from a farmhouse cider I made with wild yeast. Those bugs should funk it up good.

I have only done one batch with WLP 655 and it isn't done yet. Seems good for a more mild Belgian sour. I pitched this and a my house clausenii culture. I'm at around 8 months with it now. I tasted it a few weeks ago. As mentioned, it was only a bit sour. Not near what I was hoping for sourwise. Everything else about it was tasty though. A pitched a bunch of dregs from a farmhouse cider I made with wild yeast. Those bugs should funk it up good.

Im expecting the same thing, a lack of anything sour, but plan on pitching on top of the yeast cake eventually, which sounds like it will sour quickly, and then blending with the older beer.

Im expecting the same thing, a lack of anything sour, but plan on pitching on top of the yeast cake eventually, which sounds like it will sour quickly, and then blending with the older beer.

Figured. I have started dumping different dregs in there since this thread started.
Thanks all for the feedback!

Latest posts

Back