wlp 005

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
Im having a problem with attenuation with this yeast strain with 2 beers i have done. One was a malty red ale my friend devised and decided to ise this yeast. Made 2L starter and pitched after crashing the yeast. The second was a porter that i just pitched to tje ueast cake of thr red ale. The red ale og was 1.06w after a week in primary and a week in secondary it is at 1.020. And the porter og was 1.048 and after a week in primary the gravity is at 1.018. Both fermentations took off furiously and were in high krausen with in 24h. Then almost a day later the krausen disappeared and there are apparent signs of really slow fermentation.

Anyone experiencd this with wlp 005??

Tia
Ken

Just did a falconers flight IPA with this yeast last week and did a bit of reading before hand. Many forum posts about this yeast dropping out early and needs to be roused at times. Also that it does better in open fermentation. Don't know about that. What temp did you ferment at? Try swirling the fermenter to stir the yeast up a bit, I bet you will get a few more points out of it.

I just recently used it in an american ipa and did not have any issues. Had a VERY active fermentation for 72 hours. Started at 65 and slowly raised to 68. Went from 1.076 to 1.016. I looked through some of my notes from brews from 2011 and it looked like i did have issues with two brews finishing last year in which i used 005. Both of them finished higher than i wanted.

Exact same temp schedule i did. I am only 2 points away on the red ale of where i want to be so no big deal but the porter is posing more of a problem im 8 points away on that one

I'm on my phone so I don't have my beersmith notee but I know mine was clearing in under 36hours and at 1.018. I endee up agitating it a few times to get it down to 1.014 where it refusee to budge. I wqs trying to get it under 1.012.

Im.thinking about going to the lhbs to get another vial and pitch it in my porter toughts??

A few thoughts that might help in your fault finding with your processes,

First Ferment-ability of the wort: if it was an extract batch was did both batches use the same extract (ie same HB shop etc) or it you are doing AG when did you last check your thermometer and did you check multiple sites in the mash if your thermometer was near the edge, the bulk of your mash could have been at a higher temp. When I was doing extract batches I tried everything but was suffering from higher FG, after exhausting all options to resolve my high FG I switch to all grain with very good results.

Secondly: did you oxygenate adding O2/aerating is just as important as pitching rates.

Thirdly: it is not a good idea to use a whole cake of yeast for a brew, that is the very definition of over pitching.

Fourthly: it is not a good idea re-use yeast that is not performing well in the first place. That is like a horse stud breeding from the losers.

Clem

I do all grain. Well i will check the calibration on my thermometer. It was reading 150 and would drop to 148 after i stirred the mash which doesnt usually happen, it usually goes up. The thermometer is on the edge of the mash its one of those that screws into the tun. Also i always over pitch havent gotten any off flavors. Im not here to start a debate on that aspect. It works well for me. I have a dedicated fellar fridge for my fermentations so i can keep a good control of that. When i took the gravity of the red ale at 1.020 i wasnt to upset with that. I figured it may drop a point or two more in secondary while dry hopping so i didnt think anything of reusing the yeast.

Also im not sure if i posted it but the og of the red ale was 1.063 and the porter was 1.048.

Hi, I am looking to do a partial grain amber ale
Pale liquid extract
Caramel Crystal 60
Centennial
Mt Hood
Willamette

I wanted to use wyest 1332 northwest ale
I picked up some wlp005 as my local shops don't carry wyest

What are your thoughts on this yeast, and would it work well in this brew?

Back