WLP 001 vs safeale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdvGroo

Reaction score
Need a replacement for a batch that I need in the Fermenter now (Pumpkin) Lost my WLP-001 to a noob moment, but my LHBS was out of a replacement. My wife picked this up for me, and she brought home Safeale US-05. I know nothing about Yeast, but I want this ale to turn out. Good replacement?

Should I do a starter? This is what I have been doing so far with the white labs. I have not yet used a dry Yeast. Thanks all for your help

a starter is not needed for a 1.060 or less 5 gallon brew. plenty of yeast cells. another beauty of dry yeast. swmbo did you right :D

Those directions also say:

"Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C (68F)."

I've always done this with no problems whatsoever.

Yeah S-05 is great stuff. If you're not making starters yet, it's actually better due to a higher cell count in the packet vs. the vial. Rehydrating is definitely superior to sprinkling on dry.

S-04 is a great yeast as well. Still very clean but more flocculent (settles out quicker). Many many styles can be made with these two yeasts alone.

I prefer US-05 over wyeat 1056 and and wlp 001. They're all the chico yeast strain but US-05 is cheaper and has more yeast cells per package.

thanks for all the advice. i think i may stick with the dry as long as this works out. I will hydrate as well. Thank you.

I love S05, i used WLP001 once, it was fine, not worth the extra time and money though.

US-05 is good in a big flavorful beer but like most dry yeasts it will not taste like the liquid version. US-05 gives a noticeable pear ester that I don't care for. That being said I am using it in an IPA this weekend. In this beer you cant taste that and it is much cheaper.

US-05 is good in a big flavorful beer but like most dry yeasts it will not taste like the liquid version. US-05 gives a noticeable pear ester that I don't care for. That being said I am using it in an IPA this weekend. In this beer you cant taste that and it is much cheaper.

You've had pear esters from properly rehydrated US-05? I've never had this happen. What temperature do you ferment at?

I have heard of "peachy" flavors from US-05 if fermented in the lower 60's, never pear though. I have used this yeast almost exclusively and usually ferment in the 68-72 range and my beers come out perfect.

I have heard of "peachy" flavors from US-05 if fermented in the lower 60's, never pear though. I have used this yeast almost exclusively and usually ferment in the 68-72 range and my beers come out perfect.

that is my current temps, so I will try to keep them there. thanks all

Back