Witte beer and step mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
I was going to try and do a clone of a witte beer but don't rally have the set up to do step mashing. I have a 10 gallon mashtun and pot. Would there be a huge difference if I did a standard mash at 152 for 60 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You would be forgoing the protein rest. There are a number of consequences - determining if you can/should do a single infusion depends on your equipment, recipe and preferences.

The rest breaks down albumins into smaller more manageable bits. You'll have cloudy beer (who cares in a wit?) due to chill haze (caused by these albumins). Head retention will be reduced somewhat.

Lastly and most importantly, without the protein rest you'll have an extra sticky mash that might gum up your tun and cause a stuck sparge. Depending on if you fly or batch sparge and if you use a false bottom or SS braid, this could be an issue. Rice hulls are your friend!

I have a false bottom on the 10 gallon mashtun and an old one I can use as a hlt if need be and fly sparge. I will definitely do rice hulls in this. Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back