With RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to find out what I would use to only use RO water, Per styles. If anyone has a site or any info on how to do this please let me know.

I would like to find out what I would use to only use RO water, Per styles. If anyone has a site or any info on how to do this please let me know.
The wording of your question is quite confusing. Pleas clarify what you mean. Thanks

Additives I keep on hand:

Gypsum
CaCl2
Epsom Salt
Table Salt
Pickling Lime
Lactic Acid

Every recipe gets a Bru'nWater spreadsheet since it depends on grain bill, strike/sparge volumes etc. I use the Color/Body profiles based on what I'm making.

I am looking to figure out what you would add to RO water for Styles like Pilsner, light Ale, Malty, Amber, Dark beers. That would about cover it for me I think.
while looking for the answer I found: add 1 teaspoon of Calcium Chloride to 5 gallons of RO water:: then for Hoppy only add 1 teaspoon of of Calcium Sulfate to 5 gallons,: Balanced 1/2 teaspoon of Calcium chloride as well as 1/2 tsp of Calcium Sulfate. Does this sound like it would work?
I am looking to brew a Blond with RO water only. But if it works I will try RO on other brews.

fwiw, I brew numerous styles of beer starting with the same ~10 tds RO water, and there usually is more to creating brewing liquor than just CaSO4 and CaCl2. I would follow any of the links already provided to enhance your understanding...

Cheers!

I buy 4 gal jugs of bottled water at my local Big Box Hardware store for $3.70. The best part though is that the company posts their detailed water analysis report on their web site. You need this water analysis data so you know where you are starting otherwise you are just guessing.

Then I read everything that I could find about water treatment from John Palmer including his brewing book, his online website and some of the great water videos he has done online. After this research I am now pretty confident that I can adjust my bottled water properly for whatever beer I am brewing.

For what is worth, my bottled water was quite low in Calcium and Sulphate. Everything else was quite good. All it takes for me to correct this for my typical IPA's is to add Calcium Sulphate (Gypsum), 1 gram per gallon which is cheap and easy.

tbh, the whole RO thing in my case was out of necessity, considering the near-200 RA and borderline iron content from my deep well.
But the up side is it provides a totally blank slate hence it's easy to cook up any water recipe one might desire.
Just need to get educated to take advantage of it...

Cheers!

Back