wit, no rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justclancy

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a wit in the near future, but I can't find any rice hulls. I've asked about the hulls on an italian forum, where I live, with no luck. It's going to be 40% flaked wheat, so it's not as much wheat as if I was brewing a german weisse, but I still feel at risk of a stuck sparge. Never made a beer with more than 20% of my grain bill huskless.
What say you, with 40% flaked wheat will I be in trouble? Is there an alternative to rice hulls that will help smooth out the sparging process?

What's your mash tun like? I just did a wit with 45% wheat didn't get a stuck mash. I use a cooler with a braided hose. And I even added a pound of oats to the mash. I was afraid I was going to get a stuck mash but it went very smooth. So if I were you I would go ahead and mash without the hulls.

Properly conditioned malt will make a great mash bed. If you can keep your barley husks intact, you'll be fine. If you shred your husks, you'll risk a stuck sparge. I routinely make beers with 50-60% wheat without rice hulls.

Latest posts

Back