Wishing My Dad....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
Sometimes I wish my Dad were still around to share my new homebrew hobby with. He was never much of a beer drinker, or any kind of drinker, really, but he was a very hands-on, do-it-yourself kind of guy. I could imagine him joining me on brew days, excited to learn about my new hobby while we talked.

and another +1. Lost my dad in '86, before I began brewing. He taught me so many DIY things; car repair, plumbing, electrical... I know he'd love this too, and be proud of the DIY I've accomplished.

I hear ya on that Mozart.
I miss the older generation a lot ... especially the generation born pre-1935 or so. In my family they're all gone. Mostly "old-country" guys, but some first generation in this country. Men who built their own houses from the foundation up with their hands ... built their own businesses ... went to war ... raised big families successfully ... were the centers of their families and kept big extended families together. It was how life was back then.
My dad died at the age of 53 of heart disease. Worked in the auto plant his whole life. Too much pasta, too much stress, smoked cigars from the age of 15 and inhaled em.
We were going to have a drink together when I turned 21 ... but by that time he was too sick to do it. When my father died the day after Christmas, the next oldest male member of my family, my Great Uncle, died of a broken heart within an hour of hearing that "Sonny" had died. I became the oldest male in my family that day. I miss all of them horribly. Especially my dad.

I feel y'alls pain. My dad died of a cancerous brain tumor back in 93. Was nothin my wife & I could do but watch him die. He held on until after mom's birthday. He was around to brag about how good my wines were. But we were mainly beer drinkers,& he brewed an extra stout once. Wish he could try what I'm brewing now.

My father was one of those born pre-1935. He was born in 1928, to be exact. He was one of those who grew up during the Great Depression. His father was a carpenter by trade, which explains why my dad was so hands-on despite being an accountant.

A little too young to serve in WWII, he enlisted after the war and served as part of the occupation of Japan, actually having seen the aftermath of, I believe it was Nagasaki, but it was possibly Heroshima.

What he told of that time was how impressed he was with the Japanese people, especially how they'd utilize any patch of earth, no matter how small, even in the middle of the city, to grow some kind of vegetable.

There was the story of one Chirstmas when he was growing up during the Depression. The family didn't have enough money for presents that year, so his parents decided there wouldn't be any. They didn't want anyone in the family feeling bad by being in a position of getting something without being able to give something in return. My father simply refused to let this happen. He delivered papers, mowed lawns, did anything and everything he could for whatever he could get for it, which during the Depression, wasn't easy. He saved every cent, and in the end, made sure that everyone in the family had enough money to get everyone else in the family at least some small present.

He built his own business as a CPA.

He got caught caught-up in some of the race riots in St. Louis during the time he was a lifeguard at the municipal pool. He told the story of there being a lifeguard tower in the middle of the pool, kind of like an island, and how he and the other lifeguards had, during a riot, ushered the colored people (his words, and without an ounce of prejudice in them, it was just the word used at the time) to the platform, and stood guard at the edge of the platform, for it was the most defensible place they could think of, with the deep pool around them serving as a moat.

Fortunately, he never had to defend the platform, but he would quietly speak of "riots being ugly, horrible things" but never say any more than that, or go into any details.

I could go on and on with stories of my father. One thing I am particularly grateful for, however, was that we got to play bridge during the last couple/few years of his life before he became too ill to do so. My father loved playing cards, and we found a regular bridge game, every other week. Those games gave us a chance to just talk in the car on the drive there and the drive back, so no matter how busy I got with other things, and my own family, we had that regular time to connect.

I miss you, Dad.

My dad was born in 1924,mom in 1927. They told stories of food stamps & the different markets that were still around when I was a kid for meat,seafood,bread & vieggies,etc. Supermarkets were a newer thing when I was a little kid. Pop was just a little guy when grandma made him a tool belt,which he showed me. He whore it when he'd hike down the the main road looking for model T's in distress. They were surprised when he knew what the problem was & fixed it. They'd give him a little money for it,which he gave to grandma to help out.
Mom had to take over as chief cook & bottlewasher when grandma died at 43 years old. Mom was just a teen. Grandpa was a sturn German gent as I remember him. I still remember riding in his 1938 Ford sedan in Lakewood,OH.

Back