Wish me luck, i added 8x more campden than the recommended

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Glue

Reaction score
So during messing with the water i accidentally added about 8 times more crystalline sodium metabisulfite than i the recommended amount (1 tablet per 20 gallon) in campden tablets. I used it for dechlorination.

The water tasted a tiny bit more funky than usual but i thought it was because of the citric acid i added. (i used it for the first time ever, in a really small amount) It did not smelled sulfury. Maybe the store sold me old metabisulfite?

I did some crazy stirring before and sometimes during the boil because i have heard that areating wine can lower the sulfur levels.

Apart from that it was a pretty good brewday. The beer is in the fermenter now.

Is there anything more i can do than praying at this point?

Quick update: 10-12 hours after pitching it started to bubble pretty good

After 7-8 days it looks like it fermented out totally, not even bubbles left.

It could be my best fermentation with an US05 yet. I opened the bucket and it had zero of that peachy/fruity US05 smell i used to get all the time.

It is either because i dropped two packets into a 5 gallon 1.060 OG wort, i rehydrated, i used yeast nutrient and a bit of olive oil for fun and the temp stayed between 66-70 or because the campden already killed off the yeast.

I bet you had a nice clean, strong fermentation due to pitching rate, nutrient, hydration, and ferm temps. Also having less chlorine in the water could allow the yeast to work better as well.

I've accidentally followed the label on my campden packaging and put in 1 tab per gallon a few times. Always fermented fine and turned out perfectly drinkable anyways :D

That sounds good!

I used to ferment everything for 4 weeks but it looks like i will be able to bottle it next week i hope.

It fermented down from 1.060 to 1.010 and there was no sulfury smell during bottling.

Back