Wiring Voltage Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njs170

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just double checking myself here. I got a 10,000W 220V Voltage Regulator to control a heating element. I am running off a 30 AMP service. Coming out of the GFCI breaker I will take the two hot wires to the terminals on the voltage regulator and out the other side. Ground will by-pass this. Then the two hots to the terminals on the 5500W heating element and the ground to the heat stick/kettle. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

photo02_zps08d59817.jpg

photo03_zps0d92ff89.jpg

My standard observation in cases like this is that if you have to ask this sort of question you shouldn't be fiddling with power and my standard advice is to find someone who understands these things to help you (and I don't mean some guy on the internet - I mean someone who can stand there with you, look over your setup...).

The traces on the PCB do suggest that you should hook it up as you intend but you really need to check the manufacturers installation instructions and be sure.

I would just find somewhere to put a ground where the voltage regulator is going to reside. If its going in a box, place a ground lug or screw with a tail on it and splice it to a ground wire going to the element and one coming from the feed. Thats what i intend to do when i wire mine up

I agree with getting someone to help. I have a friend that is helping me but I was curious if I was correct. Plus I am being impatient. Gotta play with new toy! :D

I will ground it! Thank you both for your help!

Back