Wiring switch to march pump..problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karbinator

Reaction score
I've grown tired of plugging, and unplugging the pump, so I bought a switch and housing and went to town. Problem now is it's throwing the breakers after a few seconds of running...it does come on however. The switch is a heavy duty rated for 120v. All the wires are matched proper as well.
oh the switch is a lighted version so it glows when used.

Any ideas of what might be wrong? Is it the proper rating?

The rating should be fine. The pumps don't draw much current, so even a typical 15 amp circuit would easily handle the laod. You must have a short to ground somewhere. The standard wiring is black (hot leg) to black line. White (neutral) to white line. Green to ground. It's simple wiring, so you probably have it hooked up correctly. That leads me to thing there may be a problem with the pump motor itself shorting out somehow. Is this a new pump or a used one? If it's used, it could well be damaged or something else wrong with it.

A picture and diagram of how you hooked it up may be handy and help us figure out whats going on. Without seeing what you did all we can do is make a wild ass guess.

Back