Wire heating up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
I used my ink bird to regulate the temp on my rims tube and the wire for the plug and going to the ink bird was a little on the hot side. Is that normal?

It's a 1500 watts element, but my wire that I put on it was what you'd use on a power tool. I don't have it in front of me but, I think it's a 12 or 14 gauge.

I called Johnson Control and they told me that the A-419 is OK for 15 amps. I have a similar arrangement with two 1500 watt elements on two seperate circuits. One is just on/off, the other is controlled with the A410. I use both to bring up to mash temp. Then the A419 controls your mash temp nicely with just the one element. Then both full on again to bring up to boil.

That was super helpful,Thanks paleface. I'll switch my ink bird to my keezer and Johnson a419 to my rims. Hopefully that will handle the amperage.

Back