wire gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
RIMS setup 120v 15a control box for a 1500w element, PID, chugger pump, e-stop.

I have a 50ft spool of 14awg, and am planning to install fuses to:
.25a PID
1a E-Stop
2a Pump
12.5a Element

Other than wiring the line in and the element, is it worth picking up lower gauge wire (like 22awg) for everything else or could I save some money and simply wire everything with the 14 gauge?

Also is it worth putting a 15a fuse from line to the terminal block if everthing else is fused?

I wasn't planning a "main" power switch, just 3 switches for PID, Pump, Element, no problems with that right? 4 switches seems like it would be more than necessary.

Thanks!

there is no reason other than ease of wiring to use 22awg for anything. larger ga wire will function just fine, it will just be harder to use. (I assume this would be for low current signals?)

You have the E-stop for emergency power cut-off. should be good to go.

Thanks Minbari, I figured it wouldn't be an issue but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Thanks for the feedback, I think all take your guys advise and grab some lighter gauge wire to have one less thing to wrestle together.

Back