wine kit suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l1ranger

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a kit for my mother and her husband for christmas.

Looking at some of the kits from brewings sites that I've used, there seems to be a fair amount of variety in exactly what is included and the prices.

Looking for suggestions for a good starter kit to purchase as a gift.

Thanks,

In the January issue, Winemaker Magazine rated the top kits. I wrote down some that interested me (but I have yet to buy/make any of them). The numbers are were they placed on the long list.

1. RJ Spangols Cellar Classic Winery Series California Cab Sauvignon
8. Wineexpert Selection International Series Chilean Pinot Noir
10. RJ Spagnols Cru Select White Chocoloate Port
11. Winexpert Island Mist Wild Berry Shiraz
34. Cellar Craft Porto Corinto
35. winexpert Selection Speciale Port

thanks COL, seems those are ingredients kits.
I guess I should clarify that I'm looking for a equipment kit - will keep those suggestions in mind to accompany the kit however.

You'll need a 7-8 gallon food grade bucket with lid (for primary)
You'll want a 6-6.5 gallon secondary, glass or Better Bottle.
A decent corker.
Corks.
Racking equipment.
A long spoon.
And I do recommend a drill mounted wine degasser.

Wine from wine kits is pretty easy. Mix juice and water plus some yeast, wait, rack to secondary and add fining agents and sorbate/sulphite. Wait...then bottle.

Have your friends save their non-screw cap wine bottles for you!

You can beat yourself silly with an electric drill trying to degas it. For a little more I would get a table top food preserver and run a hose to a stopper. Push the automatic button 2 or 3 times and your done. I have to degas the carboys before sorbate to keep them from foaming over.

In the January issue, Winemaker Magazine rated the top kits. I wrote down some that interested me (but I have yet to buy/make any of them). The numbers are were they placed on the long list.

1. RJ Spangols Cellar Classic Winery Series California Cab Sauvignon
8. Wineexpert Selection International Series Chilean Pinot Noir
10. RJ Spagnols Cru Select White Chocoloate Port
11. Winexpert Island Mist Wild Berry Shiraz
34. Cellar Craft Porto Corinto
35. winexpert Selection Speciale Port

Are these the "best" kits or just most popular? A few on the list strike me as odd if we're talking about making good wine.

Are these the "best" kits or just most popular? A few on the list strike me as odd if we're talking about making good wine.

First, this was HIS list. What you prefer may not be the same. Second, IMHO, "good" wine is subjective. I have a buddy who absolutely loves ridiculousely sweet wines. I can't stand them. At some point, I guess you'll just have to try one, or find someone who has made it and ask if you could give it a taste.

If it matters, I made the wild berry shiraz, and I like it. Still a little on the sweet side for my preference, but it still has some good flavor.

Those were just ones that Winemaker Magazine rated highly based on whatever their criteria was that interested me... (don't know why I put the wild berry on the list). I like reds and dessert wines so those are the ones that I noted.

Back