Wine infection fixes??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdog22

Reaction score
After a few years of making wine, I think i've finally got my first wine infection. After racking my gallon batch of Apple/Cherry into a sanitized carboy for the last time, I topped up with some apple juice. It sparked another small fermentation as expected. I noticed what looks to be tiny spots of mold on the side of the carboy, mostly close to the bottom. They appeared about a month after I racked it and topped up. I can only assume that the carboy just wasn't clean enough before I sanitized it but I'm really not sure.

I'm wondering if I can rack it into a clean and sanitized carboy, on top of some K-Meta and then wait and see if more mold starts growing. I'd hate to dump it, so I think i'll give this a try. Maybe give it a month or two to see if anything else happens, give it a taste, then bottle if it's worth bottling.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Do you have any pics? Any wine over about 9% ABV should not have mild growing on the wine and much less at the bottom completely submerged. Is it stringy? Does it look jellow like? Does it just look like black mold?

A vinegar infection can creat a jelly like blob on the bottom of the wine so may be that.

Regardless racking onto a strong addition of Camden/k-meta can often save a wine if caught early.

Do you have any pics? Any wine over about 9% ABV should not have mild growing on the wine and much less at the bottom completely submerged. Is it stringy? Does it look jellow like? Does it just look like black mold?

A vinegar infection can creat a jelly like blob on the bottom of the wine so may be that.

Regardless racking onto a strong addition of Camden/k-meta can often save a wine if caught early.

I don't have any pics handy. I'll take some if I can remember after I get home. It almost looks like pea-sized spots, randomly along the side of the carboy. Not many of them, just a handful of spots that formed. They look to be a grey ish color right now.

I normally notice this at the top of the carboy but yeast can make circular colonies along the sides. They are whitish or grayish. If you twist the carboy quickly they may dust off. If so then is just yeast.

I normally notice this at the top of the carboy but yeast can make circular colonies along the sides. They are whitish or grayish. If you twist the carboy quickly they may dust off. If so then is just yeast.

I'll give it a try. Hopefully it's something that simple and I just havn't that before. Thanks!

Update:

I gave the carboy a couple quick twists and the masses "dusted" right off the sides. I suppose it was just yeast.

Back