Wine fizzing and reading of 1.000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The forager

Reaction score
I have a wine in primary and its fizzing away after 8 days. The hydrometer reading is 1.000. What does this mean?

Wine usually ferments to a little less than 1.000, so it is probably getting close to being done fermenting. The bubbles are because yeast make carbon dioxide.

Wine usually ferments to a little less than 1.000, so it is probably getting close to being done fermenting. The bubbles are because yeast make carbon dioxide.
Its only been brewing for 8 days, not even gone to secondary fermentation yet. So racking would just remove sediment and allow to clear with no further fermenting? With 1.080 and 1.000, it means the wine is only 10% or so? Sorry, very new to wine making...

It will keep fermenting if there are fermentable sugars left. There should still be plenty of yeast still in suspension if you rack now, but I'm not sure if you need to yet.

Here's a calculator to help determine ABV

https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
Thanks for the calculator.

I might give it a few days. I’d say if I rack it now with it being so wild, it may come up the neck of the Demi.

Can't hurt to go 2 to 3 weeks before racking depending on the type of juice, you can always post sweeten prior to bottling

Latest posts

Back