wine color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbosky

Reaction score
I just racked a batch of strawberry wine from the primary and it is now a brown color. what can I do to make it red again? Food coloring?

IMG_1663.jpg

When did you rack? Perhaps it is brownish because the sediment hasn't had time to settle. Top it off with a similar commercial wine to avoid oxidation and let it clear.

racked it last night. I noticed it slowly losing its red color during the primary and left alot of sediment behind in the primary

How long did it sit in primary before you racked to secondary? If it sat too long allowing fermentation to slow too much, this could cause oxidation. I typically rack from primary to secondary when the hydrometer reaches about 1.010 or slightly higher. Did you take a hydrometer reading before racking?

If 10 days, that's too long. The gases were released after 3 or 4 days and allowed oxygen into the wine. The longer it sat, the worse it got. I'm not saying pour it out, but the color may be a little muddy. BTW, the wine was probably at .990 by day 4, maybe sooner.

ok. thanks for the into. will food coloring hurt it? I took 4 readings throughout the 10 days and on day 4 it was 1.04. This ferment went much slower than usual. normally it finishes within 5 days. I racked it the day it went below 1.0

I guess that's possible too -- 1.040 on day 4. Sometimes fermentation is slow. Mine seems to go very quickly. As for food coloring? I don't know the answer to that. Hopefully, someone more experienced than me will come along and help.

My understanding is that color drops out of strawberry wine when the pH is too high (not enough acidity). Strawberries are low in acids. The best way to fix the color (that is make sure that it is stable - not repair the loss) is to ensure that the must has a lower pH (closer to 3.5 than 4)... and to make sure that there are tannins in the wine.Tannins also helps fix the anthocyanins (the chemicals associated with the color).
https://winemakermag.com/1226-late-malolactic-color-question-wine-wizard

My understanding is that color drops out of strawberry wine when the pH is too high (not enough acidity). Strawberries are low in acids. The best way to fix the color (that is make sure that it is stable - not repair the loss) is to ensure that the must has a lower pH (closer to 3.5 than 4)... and to make sure that there are tannins in the wine.Tannins also helps fix the anthocyanins (the chemicals associated with the color).
https://winemakermag.com/1226-late-malolactic-color-question-wine-wizard

Thanks for the information, Bernard - I will see if that helps my Beet Wine retain its colour the next time I make it.

just throwing it out there that keeping anything (beer included) out of sunlight will help maintain color.

I've had this issue after stabilising fruit wines. Typically you get a wonderful colour which is always ruined when you add stabiliser!!

strawberry is one that loses its color. You have to add it back in with food coloring. You can also just add a few crushed cherries to each gallon (about ten) to retain a light, delicate pink.

I just racked a batch of strawberry wine from the primary and it is now a brown color. what can I do to make it red again? Food coloring?
Honestly it looks ok coming out of primary. I have brewed several strawberry wines and it gets that type of color during primary but clears up as it ages. strawberry wine loses its redness and may appear slight red to even red orange (depending on you light) . I would not add food coloring. Just let it age in secondary and clear, The color comes back as sediment drops out. Funny i posted a picture yesterday of a rose scented strawberry wine i made i think two years ago. . I made this inmate style and just pour them into recycled beer bottles and left it, but you can see that even inmate style it sort of cleared nicely, not deep red but i had ine yesterday and it was great.

My camera is not great and the picture is in my brew dungeon so not the greatest picture but again for inmate brewing technique where i funneled it into a recycled beer bottle and has aged for i think almost two years.

If esthethic is a concern, then instead of food coloring get some strawberry soda Old Fashion Homebrew Strawberry concentrate extract. It is s deep red color and will blend with your wine. Some food coloring dont blend with wine and clump up (know from experience) i attached a pict of the old fashion extract. Personally i woukd leave your wine alone and let it age with out adding color.

IMG_7650.jpg

IMG_7663.JPG

IMO, Strawberry wine does not lose its color unless the pH is too high and you make the wine with too little tannin. I have made strawberry wine numerous times and have never had any problem with the wine changing color even after a year of aging... If the wine changes from bright red to orange or brown then there is a problem with your protocol - and that has nothing to do with the strawberries.

Back