Wine Chiller for fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGeek

Reaction score
So I've been looking into purchasing a wine cooler/chiller for fermentation of my ales. So far I'm not having a lot of luck finding brands/models that are of appropriate interior size to accomodate a 6.5 bucket or 5 carboy. Any suggestions on brands/models I should search for? Or can anyone point me to an appropriate thread? (didn't find anything in search)

I'm curious why you want to use a wine cooler/chiller instead of regular freezer or fridge with a temperature controller.

I have a round stainless steel wine chiller that will fit the diameter of a 6.5 carboy but not the length . . The neck sticks out a few inches and not under the glass doors. I bought a piece of 2" foam board but never got around to cuttting it up. I found a NICE 15 cu chest freezer on CL for $20 and bought a cheap temp controller. But your idea is definately doable especially if your space is limited and you need it somewhat portable.
Tomorrow I'll get you the info (Model, Brand) off of it and a couple pics for ya . . .

Well, the wine chillers are made to run in that 50-70 degree window and many have a digital temperature setting available, so rather than buying a deep freeze or minifridge and having to buy a temperature controller, I thought this might be easier and more cost effective.

The wine chiller / wine tank I have is made by Jianhui - Model #JH-58C1
Not sure if your talkin about a square box with the bottle racks inside OR a wine tank like this one . . .
If you need more pics, any more info or a schematic. I'll try to help. :mug:

100_1754.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1699.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1701.jpg
[/IMG]

I was planning on using a foam lid like this posted by a HBT member . . .

4189-DSCF0002.jpg
[/IMG]

I can relate to OP...

Since i'm in a hot climate making ales or lagers is a challenge! So i went to MANY stores looking for a minifridge that could fit my carboy...all the mini's i found were 4.3cf with a hump on the bottom.

The other option was a wine cooler, so on I went to look for one used or new...went to a couple of places, and all wine coolers that could fit a carboy were over 450.00!!! i was so depressed...and to top it off this things cant possibly handle lager fermentation!

As i lurk around classifieds for a used "???" i stumbled upon a guy selling a commercial under-counter refrigerator for 200.00, this thing sells for 1k new!! so i went and bought it! it fits 1 5g carboy and a 6.5 plastic fermenter at the same time! the bad side to the story is that the thermostat only goes from 30 to 40f so a controller is needed...

if i were you, i'd get a small freezer and a controller...that way you can have many many ranges of temp and it wont take much space.

Decided to go build a temp fermenter using the plans in the DIY section. Just gonna get some styrofoam insulation and build a small ice box for now. heh.

Ive never been a fan of the foam boxes . . . to each their own. I have a buddy that uses the big box from around dishwashers, stoves and washer dryers. For the time and effort and the couple bucks it costs there are better things out there. But everything is a learning experience . . . such is life. . . enjoy life :mug:
I'd be patient and keep an eye out for something usefull . . . wooded shipping crate, old cooler, free fridge . . .. PATIENCE ;)

$45 cooler from Wal-Mart . . . I pulled this one off my pontoon. Fits 3 fermenting buckets or 6.5 carboys.

100_1710.jpg
[/IMG]

Free Fridge on the left $20 freezer in the middle Temp controller was $35 from the CHI company . . . Freezer fits 7 buckets or carboys

100_1464-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Keep us posted on the project . . .Good luck with whatever you decide . . . remember patience, Patience and PATIENCE. :mug:

Hi Habit,

Hey, I know this thread is old but I'm thinking about buying one of these units from craigslist, put an aquarium pump in it and send it through the cooling coils in my brewhemoth. Can't find any info online regarding temperature range.

Thanks!
Mark C.

The wine chiller / wine tank I have is made by Jianhui - Model #JH-58C1
Not sure if your talkin about a square box with the bottle racks inside OR a wine tank like this one . . .

I just picked this one up too. But no idea what it does ? It heats it ? or cools it ?

Thanks.
Srinath.

Well, the wine chillers are made to run in that 50-70 degree window and many have a digital temperature setting available, so rather than buying a deep freeze or minifridge and having to buy a temperature controller, I thought this might be easier and more cost effective.
When I first began my quest for temperature controlled fermentation, I found a 24" wide x 72" Tall wine fridge on craigslist for $50, and for the following 5 yrs, it was perfect, and the same equipment will be perfect to ferment ales for years to come. Used to slip my 2 buckets of 5 gal each, into the wine fridge and let it go. the "low" setting was around 56 and the high end was about 68-70. Still have the unit, and use it as a secondary storage for kegs when the chest freezer w/ temp controller (40 degrees) is full, or if I want a batch to rest a while in th 60's range. It's not engineered to be a fridge, or a freezer, but works perfect to hold fermentation temps, and has a smaller footprint.

This is a big round thing and will take a 5 gal round carboy style thing ?
My carboy's are all square likely wont fit.
Anyway I'll see what I can use it for. Else I may just craigslist it.
Cool.
Srinath.

Latest posts

Back