Wine Chiller and BrewPi Ferm Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon

Reaction score
I was originally planning on purchasing a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber with a BrewPi Fermentation controller. However, I only really need a fermentation chamber large enough for a 30 L Speidel fermenter. The wine chiller is a 40 bottle Haier which I can pick up used for $100. What I like to know if this wine chiller would work well with BrewPi and would it work well as a fermentation chamber compared to a 5 cf chest freezer.

Depending on your ambient temperature range, BrewPi will run pretty much any cooler and keep your fermentation under tight control. If your ambients are below your desired fermentation temperature you'll likely need to add a heat source so BrewPi can maintain the fermentation temp, but that can be as simple as a light bulb.

All things equal, I'd think your wine chiller cabinet would work at least as well as a chest freezer for fermentation...

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. I checked out the Haier wine chiller and while it was in great operational condition, it only had 23" internal height for the Speidel and unfortunately the 30l Speidel in 25 inches. I'm almost thinking of using a standard airlock on it, but I doubt it will give me the extra 2" it needs. I will have to keep hunting.

Do not use a wine cooler if your ambient is going to be above 60F. I have a thermoelectric Vinotemp that I used to use as a humidor and when I try to ferment at 72F it has a hard time keeping it down for the first few days of active fermentation. I resorted to stacking foam sheets, used for insulation, in front of the glass door during my last brew but I will not be using it for many beers in the future. My temps were often 5-6 degrees above what I wanted them to be, beer was still good but had obvious esters.

You need something with a compressor and refrigeration cycle if you want to use it reliably.

Back