Wine and sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarman703

Reaction score
I did a stupid thing I have a welches grape juice wine fermenting right now. I have been racking every two weeks. After the second racking one month of fermentation I added sugar approximately 5 ounces or so because the wine after tasting was very dry. Once I added the sugar the wine immediately foamed up about one inch of foam and after about 24 hours no foam. Have I messed up my wine, and am I still on track to bottle in another month? The air lock has all but stopped bubbling. But it still has a little more clearing to do.

You added sugar to a fermenting wine....well...it will be even dryer yet. By adding sugar, you can stress your yeast resulting in off odors such as rotten eggs, do you have a yeast nutrient?
The only way to sweeten a wine is after fermentation is complete. You will need to stabilize it after the wine ferments to dry, between .998-.992 with meta and sorbate and back sweeten to your preference.
Do you have a hydrometer?

As pumpkin man said, adding sugar to a wine will keep fermentation going (that was the foaming btw) so allow fermentation to stop. Then, you can stabilize and back sweeten.

This is my notes for cider, but it can easily translate to wine....

How to Sussreserve

Rack to a fresh carboy leaving all the settled out yeast and sediment behind.

Add:

1/2 tsp potassium sorbate per gallon.
1/4 - 1/2 tsp TOTAL potassium metabisulfite for the batch.

Add and stir gently. Give the cider 4-7 days.

Then rack to a fresh carboy and sweeten. If planning on kegging/force carbing, you can rack to the keg instead of a carboy.

This my proven method for Sussreserve.

As to how much to sweeten, that is very subjective. You should pull a sample, taste, and add sweetener slowly to your desired level. Then scale up for the entire batch.

I sweeten with more cider, usually in a ratio close to 1:5 or 1:6 (1 gal cider to 5 gal hard cider).

Its very easy to make a sweet cider... OR a carbonated cider. But a bit tricky to make one that is BOTH. To do that you must sweeten, then artificially carb (force carb), or sweeten with something non-fermentable (like splenda or xylitol), and bottle carb with priming sugar.[/QUOTE]

Back