Willie Belcher glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanVTBrew

Reaction score
I can't find much on why Willie Belcher glasses are called Willie Belcher. I can only assume it's because that's who originally made them? I also can't find the reasoning behind the design, what are its benefits?

Here's a little history:
Its name comes from its inventor Willy Steinmeier, then head of sales at Glassworks Ruhrglas AG. He has helped the Willi Becher to its unobtrusive design. The glass has been continuously produced since 1954. There are over 10 million sold per year.... at least according to Wikipedia.

I'd never heard the term so I looked it up and found this at http://www.craftbeerware.com/willi-becher-pub-glass.html

"The Willi Becher beer glass, also known as the Willybecher, is the standard pint glass used throughout Germany. If you stop in for a beer at any pub in Germany, chances are it will be served in this glass. It has become a very popular glass amongst the residents because of its great functionality and tasting attributes.

The Becher glass is tall and semi-slim with a flare in the upper portion of the glass. This glass will hold 20 ounces of beer, which gives you plenty of room for different bottle sizes and the head that goes along with them. The flare gives you a good hold on the glassware, while the inward curve at the top of the glass works to trap those wonderful aromas.

Many beers pair well with the Willybecher glass and German style lagers are no exception. They are the perfect compliment to these classic German beer glasses. If you haven't drank from a Willi Becher glass yet, you are in for a pleasant suprise when tasting your next German beer."

Back