Will vibration affect my beer.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazingsun81

Reaction score
Was having trouble trying to keep the temperature down in my basement . so I got a tub filled it with salt water wrap a copper coil around my carboy and hooked it up to a little pump to circulate the water , which has worked like a charm .
However I wonder if the little vibrations from the pump might ruin the beer.? Beside keeping the sediment from dropping later on.

Why the salt water, as opposed to tap water? And why the copper tubing wrapped around the fermenter? And are you changing out your water on a regular basis? The temperature of the water in the tub will equilibrate to roughly the temperature in your basement, unless you're adding ice or new cool water.

The vibrations from a small pump aren't going to harm your beer, other than possibly (and this is unlikely with just a small pump) affecting yeast settlement, as you had mentioned.

Probably not. I assume it's a "clean" fermentation. I can't think if any reason why vibration would have an effect on a sacc fermentation. I have heard that vibration can effect a sour fermentation. Vibration can disrupt pellical formation, which acts as a oxygen barrier. Oxygen exposure promotes acetobacter. Thus, vibrations have a positive correlation with acedic acid in sour fermentations.

I have a mix of salt/ice water which keeps the temperature down by 5 degreed , the circulating water helps so the temp doesn't raise back up as quickly ,it a old grade 7 science project I did when I was a kid. The copper coil is so my wife and friends think I'm cool , it really doesn't need to be there .= )

I have a mix of salt/ice water which keeps the temperature down by 5 degreed , the circulating water helps so the temp doesn't raise back up as quickly ,it a old grade 7 science project I did when I was a kid. The copper coil is so my wife and friends think I'm cool , it really doesn't need to be there .= )

Oh, I didn't realize that you used ice water. I pictured you adding salt to tap water, and I couldn't figure out why that would be advantageous. lol

How hot is your basement that you need to set your fermenter in a tub of ice water? Or are you lagering?

I have a hot water heating system so my basement is usually around 77f/25c ,
Wow that's interested how vibrations could help a beer. So I guess that's what the copper coil is for , it helps with the vibration. Yea that is what I meant to do........

It depends on whether your pump puts out Good Vibrations or not. If we're talking about good vibrations, then it'll give your beer excitations. And that leads to such elation. Ooom bop bop ooh. Good vibrations.

Hmm , the lights are already off all I need to do is light a candle put on some Barry white is what your telling me = )

Back