Will This Work? SS Brewtech 10G w/ Bayou Classic 44 Qt Basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricerahops220

Reaction score
How's it going everyone.

I am looking to get into the BIAB scene after doing brewing partial extract for years and tons of research. I think I am finally ready to take the plunge. After much dilemma and reviewing my bank account I think I have narrowed my search down to a SS Brewtech 10G Kettle with ideally a Wilsner Bag and also a Bayou Classic 44 QT basket as the setup.

I know many people may suggest going with other variations or sizes but I think this is going to be a bit of an intermittent step for me. Why? It would appear that with work I will be jumping from location to location for long periods of time which means I'll be living the apartment life. I would like to get a 15G kettle and make my own electric BIAB setup one day but it doesn't seem to make sense right now. When that time comes, I will make the big investment but for now, this what I would like.

So my question is, does anyone have this setup? I know @Seven has a similar setup with a Blichmann 10G (same dimensions as the SS Brewtech) with the 44Qt Bayou Classic basket and it works but I would like to know if the trub dam in the SS Brewtech will cause any problems with the basket? Would the basket sit on the dam? Are there any other ways to solve this problem to keep it off the dam (like stainless machine screws and nuts) without sacrificing too much deadspace in the kettle?

Why not just buy the 1044 combo from Amazon? Particularly if this is an interim setup. Way cheaper and 11 gal capacity... I have that setup with an electric element and controller and it works fine for up to 13lbs of grain or thereabouts...

Coincidentally I also own a as brewtech 10 gal kettle so when I'm home I could actually do some measurements - pm me if you want me to do it for you.

Instead pf a basket which may affect circulation you may want to check out this false bottom. I have a 10 Gallon SS BrewTech and have been using clamps to hold my bag when mashing which can be hit or miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just buy the 1044 combo from Amazon? Particularly if this is an interim setup. Way cheaper and 11 gal capacity... I have that setup with an electric element and controller and it works fine for up to 13lbs of grain or thereabouts...

Coincidentally I also own a as brewtech 10 gal kettle so when I'm home I could actually do some measurements - pm me if you want me to do it for you.

I have considered getting the whole 1044 combo but i'm a little concerned with screwing it up. I am assuming you're running a large 30A heating element on that setup?

I will keep that in mind. I appreciate the help

Yes I bought a used high gravity system with a 240v element, chugger pump, and controller. Built a spa panel to connect to my dryer outlet for gfci protection. Ultimately I think I'd like to move my gear over to a 15 gal kettle.

With the 1044 combo, the only thing you'd have to do initially is punch a hole in the kettle and put a valve in it - if I can do it anybody can. Realize that with the 10 gal kettle and basket you're going to be limiting yourself a bit on the grain bill unless you're not going to do full volume mashes.

Edit: search Amazon for 1144 stockpot and basket

i was between a 10 and 15 gal, and settled on the 15 gal SS brewtech. Im so glad i did. having that extra headspace allows me to do 5 gal batches all day and not have to hover over the kettle watching for a boilover.

The SS Brewtech kettles can hold 10.7 gallons per their website which would provide room for some large grain bills doing a full volume mash. Might even be able to do 18-20 lbs of grain based on my calculation for 5.5 gallons.

Back