Will this regulator work for kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I have a CO2 regulator that is intended for feeding a calcium reactor in saltwater aquariums. Its a high quality one ($150) and comes with dual gauges, a solenoid and a micro valve. I'm hoping I can replace the solenoid and valve with a regular valve and be good to go but I'm not sure. This would get me into kegging for the price of some cornies and the tubing.

Here's the regulator I have.

CO2 Regulator and Supplies from ReefFanatic.com

So where can I get the fittings and valve needed to replace the micro needle valve on it now? Or will the micro needle valve work? I don't think it will though as the output is designed for I think 1/8" ID tubing.

So where can I get the fittings and valve needed to replace the micro needle valve on it now? Or will the micro needle valve work? I don't think it will though as the output is designed for I think 1/8" ID tubing.

You should be able to pick up a shut-off w/check valve at your LHBS. Just make certain it is the same thread size and your good to go. The shut-off should have a barb on it to faciliate your line size.

Here is a link to my LHBS: South Hills Brewing Supply

Here is a picture of what you might need:
9f3d9fda973c3f9f1495188c310955d6.jpg

Salute! :mug:

How do you control pressure to the kegerator? Don't you have to have a way to set the pressure other than the wheel on the top of the co2 tank?

Why don't you sell the current regulator and needle valve on craigslist or e-bay and buy a new regulator from micromatic?

That way you don't have to fark around with an expensive gauge... and you'd have something made for what you want to do...

It would be cheaper for you to sell that regulator and buy yourself one meant for beer. Otherwise you'd be wasting your solenoid and needle valve. You may even walk away from the situation with a little extra $ in your pocket instead of having to buy more parts.

Good point guys, taking a regulator that originally costs 2x of what a new one for beer costs then having to buy parts too is a bit bass ackwards.

Back