Will this over flow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
By far the largest starter I've had to make. I'm making a coffee stout with an estimated OG of 1074. Northern Brewer sent me a pack of Wyeast 1968 ESB Ale that's 40 days old. According to a yeast calculator I needed a 2L starter. I am a bit nervous that this will over flow. I put it on the stir plate about 2 hours ago and it's already fermenting. What do you think???

IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1318.jpg

There is a good chance that it will, although the action of the stir plate should help.
I always put a drop of Fermcap into my starters, just in case (and it does wonders for boiling the starter wort in the flask without making a mess or burning yourself).

There is a good chance that it will, although the action of the stir plate should help.
I always put a drop of Fermcap into my starters, just in case (and it does wonders for boiling the starter wort in the flask without making a mess or burning yourself).

I would get fermcap now but the LHBS is closed. It seems the starter is maintaining where it's at now. That yeast is pretty active for being over 40 days old, maybe the nutrient I put in has something to do with that.

Yes it will. One drop of fermcap will prevent overflows in that size flasks.

I would get fermcap now but the LHBS is closed. It seems the starter is maintaining where it's at now. That yeast is pretty active for being over 40 days old, maybe the nutrient I put in has something to do with that.

Got any Gas-X in the medicine cabinet? :) it won't take much!

Or you could take a sheet of wax paper and wrap it around your stir plate to protect it.

I got home last night and the krausen was pushing through the foil and dripping down the flask. I quickly covered the stir pate as mentioned and put it in my kitchen sink for the night. I woke up this morning and it's still fermenting. I took a short video to show you guys.

I read a lot of concerns about this yeast on the internet. It is often chunky out of the Wyeast smack pack, which concerns new home brewers. I took this video to show it is completely normal for this yeast strain. It was chunky out of the pack and eventually dissolved into solution. Then after a few hours on the plate it is chunky again. Obviously the yeast are doing their job as seen in the pics and video, so there is no question on whether this is a bunk batch of yeast. After all this is one of the reasons to make a yeast starter.....to check the viability of the yeast.

Cheers :mug:

[ame]http://youtu.be/v_TZt1n2qk0[/ame]

Back