Will this fit in my mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudzAndSudz

Reaction score
Trying to make an imperial pumpkin pie ale that I made last year on my 5-gallon system. The issue is that I just completed my brand new single-tier electric system, so I want to make 15 gallons of this and my mash tun is only 20 gallons.

So for a grain bill of 47.15lbs, at an infusion rate of 1.33qts/lb (I usually do 1.5, but there's no way that will work), I need almost 16 gallons of strike water. Is there any possible chance that 47 lbs of grist will only take up 4 gallons of space in my pot while wet? I feel like I'm heading for an overflow. Anyone have any thoughts on how much the efficiency will be impacted by infusing at 1.25 qts/gallon or even a 1:1 ratio? I really don't want to waste that much grain by wetting "most" of it and then realizing it won't fit.....

And that my friend was possibly one of the single most helpful responses I've ever seen on the internet. +5 to you.

Also, I've tried searching for this (so please forgive me if it's a question that gets asked 100 times a week), but it's hard to find the right search terms to get relevant results, so I guess I'll just ask it. How will the final product be impacted by mashing at 1.33qt/gallon versus 1.25 qt/gallon?

Also, I've tried searching for this, but it's hard to find the right search terms to get relevant results, so I guess I'll just ask it. How will the final product be impacted by mashing at 1.33qt/gallon versus 1.25 qt/gallon?

It really won't. It just means the mash is thicker. You're final volumes will all be the same.

Then why do people adjust the volumes? Just because they can? It seems like if there was no advantage from different volumes then everyone would just do the same amount....except that people are goofy.

Have I read that thinner mashes promote higher attenuation? I have no evidence of my own. I don't see 1.25 to 1.33 making a difference though.

Have I read that thinner mashes promote higher attenuation? I have no evidence of my own. I don't see 1.25 to 1.33 making a difference though.

Yes not much difference there. I've mashed thick and thin and prefer slightly thinner. Thinner is easier to stir and the mash doesn't remind me of gooey oatmeal.

Back