Will this Ale carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimmkeeper

Reaction score
Never home brewed and I decided to follow a recipe from Mother Earth for a cascade pale ale. I'm all done and it's in bottles. The last thing I had to do was boil 16oz. Of water and add 5 oz. of corn sugar. It fizzed a little bit when I place the ale in the bottles, less as I went along. So I'm supposed to leave it in bottles for a week then refrigerate one to test. I'm just looking for a little newbie encouragement that it will actually carbonate. Seems like such little sugar to do a lot of work!
Art

Generally, you only need .75 ounce of corn sugar per gallon of finished beer to carbonate a medium bit, and 1 ounce of corn sugar per gallon for a good level of carbonation, so assuming you made a 5 gallon batch, you used plenty.

It should not have been "fizzing up", though.

That’s relieving to know. Yes it was a 5 gallon carboy. It did fizz a little when I first started bottling but stopped towards the end. Thanks! I won’t be a worry...wort.
Thanks,
Art

Back