Will sulphur smell dissipate after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumpyhead

Reaction score
Being a newbie to brewing hard cider, I did not know if sulfur smell was normal and I did not think much of it. So I went ahead and bottled it. That being said, will the strong sulfur smell from the Cider get better as it bottle ages? It is a micro batch, only yielded about 8 bottles. However I made it from scratch so if it is savable that would be great!

Being a newbie to brewing hard cider, I did not know if sulfur smell was normal and I did not think much of it. So I went ahead and bottled it. That being said, will the strong sulfur smell from the Cider get better as it bottle ages? It is a micro batch, only yielded about 8 bottles. However I made it from scratch so if it is savable that would be great!

I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. I guess it would depend on the cause of the sulfur. If it's from sulfites, that should dissipate. If it's from stressed yeast, it may or may not, once the cider is removed from the lees. But bottling may "lock" it in there.

If it's from a lack of nutrients, or from other things like yeast strain, it won't.

It's too late now I believe. Some yeasts produce a really strong sulfury/barnyard aroma during fermentation. With wine, it means you need to add (yes add) metabisulphite, aerate and stir with some copper - I use some copper pot scrubbies. The addition of DAP or Ferm-Aid in stages can help prevent it to a degree. The hydrogen sulfide produced is very stinky, but reactive. The copper reacts with it to make it inert, the PMBS is to prevent the sulfur from binding permanently to your wine and the aeration is to gas it off and provide the stressed yeast with O2.

The problem is that fruit juices don't contain enough nitrogen to feed the growing yeast and the metabolism that ensues produces H2S. Thus, use some DAP and monitor fermentation closely. Different yeast can help too.

Sorry for your problem, at least it was a small batch! First time it happened to me was with a 700lb batch of Merlot and I was crapping myself that it was going to be ruined. Wasn't though - very smooth wine in the end.

It's most likely ruined. Many people suggest a series of complicated steps. The worst of which is the addition of copper sulfate (it's poisonous over 5 PPM (parts per million)). There's a much simpler, patient course of action for stinky cider.

Firstly, add DAP or Diammonium Phosphate prior to fermentation or during if you catch a whiff. A lack of proper nutrition in cider often times results in the production of H2S. Secondly, if it smells of sulfur and fermentation has ceased, then using a carbonation stone and CO2 to bubble off some of the smell every other day should help. Thirdly and most importantly, don't rack it. Let it sit on the yeast and reabsorb its own nasty by products. Essentially treat it like a lager. There's a saying not too often heard that "yeast likes to clean up after itself". This is your most useful tool in correcting this problem. Patience is a virtue, and a good 8 weeks or more of conditioning in the primary vessel can work wonders on the final product.

All other steps apply as well, a good fining stage, a few series of rackings off the yeast and other settled solids, and a clear finished product all help in having a clean tasting, smelling, and shelf stable product.

If you feel like saving it, go for it. Who knows what will happen in a couple of years. Maybe your kids will one day sneak their way into your cellar and steal a bottle for their first drink. And if you're lucky it will taste so off putting they'll never touch alcohol again.

Haha thanks Dragonmead, I like what you said about future kids getting into nasty cider.

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! Next time I will do more to tend to the cider and not rush it so much. However I am more into beer brewing, so I probably won't be brewing hard cider again for a while.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but my fermentation (at least the bubbling) did not start for a week. I gave the batch some oxygen after a week of inactivity and then the bubbling started the next day. Could the delayed fermentation have had something to do with the sulfur smell?

Sulfur does always disappear with age, always, but the amount of time it takes is the big unknown. Usually it happens within a month or so, but occasionally it takes a year or more. But eventually it will go away. Patience will be required.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but my fermentation (at least the bubbling) did not start for a week. I gave the batch some oxygen after a week of inactivity and then the bubbling started the next day. Could the delayed fermentation have had something to do with the sulfur smell?

Yes, it could be infected and fermented by wild yeast or bacteria. That would cause some off-flavors and aromas.

H2S doesn't go away, ever, if that is what it is.

Latest posts

Back