Will Simcoe and columbus overwhelm galaxy in this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheroguy

Reaction score
Hi thanks for reading I'm planning on brewing the following beer

10lbs Great western 2 row
1 lb Briess Pilsen (left over needs to be used up)
5 oz Baird Dark crystal (mostly for color)
4 oz table sugar
Relatively neutral water
3 grams calcium chloride
6 grams gypsum
denny conn 1450 yeast
srm 5.9
og 59
fg 11
6.3% abv
planning on 63 ibu

OK so here is the part where I need help. I have 2 oz of galaxy and simcoe each coming (also cascade planning on using that in a diff beer but I can add that if you think its a good idea).

I want to Bitter with columbus and do a 10 minute columbus addition of .75 ounces.then whirl pool one ounce each of galaxy and simcoe at 190*F for 30 min
then dry hop one ounce each for 3 days around 60*F

I'm wondering if simcoe + columbus will drown out galaxy. It is a flavorful hop but those other two are beasts. Will galaxy really be able to stand up to those and be noticeable in the final product?

Galaxy will hold its own, and is GREAT in combo with Columbus and/or Simcoe. Cascade would not be out of place in the dry hop.

In fact, I just might steal this recipe.

Galaxy is a potent hop and holds up to pretty much anything, I use a lot of ctz and Galaxy combos in my beers. Usually ill bitter with ctz for about 25 ibus and then get the rest from my 10 and 5 min additions then a hopstand at 175 deg but I don't even calculate that into the ibu equation. So if I'm shooting for 65 ibus that's all boil hops. What I do to combat one hop overpowering another is just adjust the amount so use less of the stronger one and slightly more of the less aa hop in this case that would be Galaxy. You will extract some bitterness starting your hopstand at 190 as opposed to starting it at 175 so keep that in mind In you overall recipe and the amount of bitterness you actually want. It's perfectly fine to keep it this way but to compensate I'd prob only add enough Columbus to bitter to get say 20-25 ibus out of it. Just my thoughts and I love using these two hops together, I really think they complement each other so well.

great combo...because you will get tropical and dank which is what a great IPA should be IMO

Galaxy is one the strongest hops. It total oil content is about double the others

Beer came out great. It appears that the galaxy is overwhelming the simcoe though!. I dropped the 10 min addition because I wanted to really get to know simcoe and galaxy better. I also added the 2 oz of cascade in the 3 day dry hop. When I rebrew this I will up the gypsum by a gram and do a 10 minute addition of at least one oz simcoe and probably ctz also.

Back