Will my yeast work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I'm starting my first batch of mead from a recipe in The Joy of Home Wine Making by Terry Garey. It starts off with 3 pounds honey (wow! 1.117). She calls out to use mead yeast or champagne yeast. All I have is Cote des Blancs. Will that work with such a high OG?

Yes, but it could end up a bit sweet. Cote des Blanc will only ferment to about 14-15% ABV, your SG of 1.117 has a potential alcohol of 16% ABV at an SG of 1.000. You might be able to coax a bit more alcohol tolerance from the yeast by using stepped nutrient additions. Here is a list of yeast strains & some of their characteristics & tolerances: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp It's for wine, but it'll give you a pretty good idea what to expect from each strain listed. Regards, GF.

At 3#/gallon, I find Cotes de Blanc to be PERFECT for mead. Leaves it good and sweet like I want it.

If you want a dryer final mead, this isn't the one to use.

Back