Will my Apfelwein Ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnotherFinch

Reaction score
I know I'm a noob here, but don't worry, I've done my research, and I'm not going to ask any stupid questions that you've already answered (don't let that come back to bite me in the ass...).

I just started brewing five gallons of Apfelwein in my Ale Pail a couple minutes ago, and of course, it's my first batch (after a failure of a brew of flavourless hooch a while back).

Now, my question is about ingredients:

Has anyone tried using Wal-Mart brand "Great Value" Apple Juice to brew wine? I've seen people online say they've done it with the concentrate, but I picked up the already-mixed juice in a jug from the concentrate, and I'm curious if it'll actually work (I'm too impatient to just wait and see).

Also, while I'm here, I might as well throw in a quick question about sugar that I couldn't find online: I'm using your standard cane sugar (glucose), but I've seen that people recommend using "sucrose". Should I have used sucrose instead of glucose due to the lack of fructose?

Oh, here's the ingredients list for the Great Value Apple Juice:
Filtered Water, Apple Juice Concentrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Not to attack you, but I just have to say it haha.

Someone has asked before :)

Basically you can use any store bought juice (of any fruit mixture) that doesn't contain preservatives that would prevent fermentation. Some prefer to get non-concentrate juice (your juice is from concentrate) but even that doesn't make much of a difference.

It's not done yet, so I can't say for sure, but I have some that is 2 gallons of White Grape Peach, and 1 gallon of Apple...The rest is Ed's recipe.

Samples have been swell! And it's all Safeway brand, so it's like $12.00 for the 3 gallon batch.

and your batch...it' wont' be fine, it'll be great. So, Like Ed Says...Get planning your next batch.

I used the GV juice from walmart for mine. It will be 7 weeks (4 weeks carboy, 3 weeks bottles) on Saturday and so far so good. Also instead of the corn sugar I used the Dark Brown Sugar and Lavlin D-47 yeast to try and keep it a little sweet.

Tastes like a dry wine, but is pretty good so far.

1) Thanks for all the input, guys! I didn't expect to get any responses.

2) She's bubbling; slowly but surely. And it was bubbling less than twelve hours after pitching and mixing the yeast. I'm sure that's somewhat of a good sign.

What are the average typical initial specific gravity's you guys normally get with your Apfelweins? I got 1.07 with mine.

Don't be scared about the Rhino Fart smell (it only lasts a couple days) and let it sit about a month for it to clear.

A month after fermenting?

I was thinking about getting two batches going. I have some friends coming into town in a little over a month, and they mentioned possibly wanting to try some. I was thinking about bottling one or two old empty whiskey bottles I have (to age and drink from my 'first brew' long down the road), and putting the rest back into the juice jugs and drinking with my friends. (Whatever I don't drink with them would be left to age).

The second batch I would allow to fully ferment.

Is it really necessary for me to let it sit in a fermenter with an airlock for a month after it's cleared, or after everything's settled, can I put it in bottles to age?

(sorry about all the typical questions, I'd just like to hear from you guys the right answer)

I would recomend using twelve ounce beer bottles, especially if you are going to carbonate it. This stuff is pretty potent and not usually consumed a gallon at a time.

Well I'm lucky enough that a brewing supply place near me has the E-Z Cap bottles (Grolsch style ones with the re-sealable attached tops) in a couple different sizes and colours. I'm thinking about getting some clear 12 ounce ones to cap my stuff with (Only about $25 for 12 bottles that I'll re-use, though that's still kinda expensive).

The way I figure it, if this stuff (hopefully) does come out near the 20% AC I'm hoping for, that means that one bottle would be worth around six shots of standard liquor, give or take. Now, I'm not making the stuff to get hammered off of, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying-- it'll be nice to know that one bottle will be able to do most individuals right, so I'll probably go with them.

Although... I'm slightly worried now. My brew was bubbling pretty furiously for the first 2-3 days, but now I can see that the airlock activity has significantly dropped. This happened around the same time it went from smelling like wonderful apples to smelling like Paris Hilton's crotch. Is this normal? Are a few quick bubbles once every 3-4 seconds still a good sign?

Following EdWort's recipe will get you about 8.5% ABV, not 20.

mrk305 said:
Don't be scared about the Rhino Fart smell (it only lasts a couple days) and let it sit about a month for it to clear.

oh yeah, rhino fart = paris hilton's crotch!:rockin:

Back