will it really go clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blandeena

Reaction score
I started my cider batch Feb 8th, and transferred over to secondary fermentation a week later. It's been just over a month total now, and I guess I'm just waiting for it to go clear before I bottle it. I was just wondering if it will for sure ever go clear. My cider didn't start off clear when I bought it, so should I expect it to somehow go clear after sitting?

Recipe?

You transfered to secondary after one week. What was your SG and what yeast did you use.

It will clear with enough sitting. Mine have been a month or more with wine yeast till they clear.

My single batch of Apfelwein took 2 months to start clearing up. After some time in the bottle its now crystal clear.

My single batch of Apfelwein took 2 months to start clearing up. After some time in the bottle its now crystal clear.

Wow, I am amazed your took that long. I fermented at 64 and it took 5 weeks to be crystal clear. I have had other batches go all clear at 3 weeks.

I started with 5 gallons of unfiltered(cloudy), unpreserved, pasteurized central market brand apple juice. I added 3 tsp of yeast nutrient and a vial of WLP720 sweet mead yeast. It started off at 1.050, and after a week was down to 0.99. I transferred to 5 separate 1 gallon glass jugs with half a container of different flavored juice concentrates in each container except for one for a control. The 4 jugs with concentrates went back up to about 1.01. They bubbled slowly for another week, and have been sitting ever since. I am in Texas, and the past 2 weeks we've had several days where its been close to 90 degrees outside. 2 of the jugs had a tiny bit of airlock action on one of the warmer days. It may not be quite ready to go clear, but I just want to make sure I should even expect it to. I haven't checked the gravity since I transferred to secondaries, but would imagine they should be 99.9% done fermenting.

Wow, I am amazed your took that long. I fermented at 64 and it took 5 weeks to be crystal clear. I have had other batches go all clear at 3 weeks.

Yeah same here. I did add some concentrate that wasn't listed in the original recipe but I doubt that would make a difference clarity-wise. I just checked my notes and I left it in the carboy for a total of 73 days. Not sure why it happened but I did that whole RDWHAHB thing and let it be. Looks and tastes great now though. :ban:

Back