Will fan make chest freezer more efficient ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
Hi

I have 3 chest freezers with ST1000 controllers that work very well as fermentation and cold crash chambers.

Would putting a small fan computer fan inside make them more efficient ?

As I said, they work fine now - i just like fiddling around and maximising efficiency if I can.

One thing that concerns me is that fans may force cold air out of any small cracks or holes in the seals and actually decrease efficiency ???

Your thoughts please

The fan will help move all the stable air around so as to eliminated different temperatures in the freezer. since hot air rises and cold air falls, a fan mixes up the air so that your temp probe gets the same reading regardless of location. This helps eliminate freezing your beer if the probe is high up etc. Also, if you have a tower type faucet system, the fan allows the cold air to reach the beer lines in the tower helping reduce foam created by the temp difference.

As far a efficiency, if you have little cracks or holes, i would seal them up anyways. The better insulated the freezer, the colder it can stay longer, the less the compressor has to kick on, the more efficient the freezer is.

Yeah it'll definitely increase efficiency. The reason why is because without a fan, you typically overshoot your setpoint, which means the compressor typically runs longer than it really needed to, and you end up 5-10 degrees below where you were aiming to go. With a fan, you're able to more efficiently cool whatever it is you're chilling, at a faster pace.

Ideally, you'd have the fan in the fridge come on before the compressor runs and then for a while after if turns off.

You could also put a fan on the compressor coil (if they are exposed) of the fridges, it would help in hot weather.

Putting a fan in the electrical enclosure with the STC-1000 unit won't do anything.

Back