Will Cutting Back Extra shoots hurt a first year plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beansnbrews

Reaction score
Just started my first hop plants this year (Cascade, Nugget and Willamette). I snipped back the 2-3 extra shoots that came off later and just allowed the one main shoot to grow as I didn't have a ton of extra space. But after reading several other threads I'm wondering if this will hurt the roots getting established.

Did I tank my first year hops by depriving them of the extra leaves to nourish the roots? They seem to be growing ok (planted last week of April, ~6 weeks of growth now and they look healthy).

Thanks!

I admit I am also in my first year of growing. However, I have taken the opportunity to clip a few of the shoots off of my vines as well. Rather than hurting them, it seems to have spurred extra growth in the plant! I think you should be fine even though you are in your first year of growth.

Frankly, for a first year plant, I'd stick to water and maybe fertilizer, and otherwise leave it to grow.

TeeJo

Will it hurt the plant? Not really. But the first year of growth is going to be different than year 2 and 3. The roots are getting established so the more leafy greens, the more the plant grows underground. If you leave the rest to grow, it may help the plant out. If you trim it, it won't hurt it either.

I let all my year 1 growth go wild. I began trimming like crazy in year two. In year three, I have to manage the plant, as these things are literally trying to climb out of the ground and dominate the world. I have hacked all my growth at the end of April, and have had to trim/prune the plants several times to refocus growth on the 4 main bines.

I have a first year Magnum that has exceeded my expectations, growing to over 15 feet and already producing many cones. However, just as it stopped growing upwards, the bottom 5 feet of the plant have produced at least 20 side shoots. It is almost comical the growth that is occurring in that one area of that plant. I've been trying to train them as they appear but that part of the plant is becoming very tangled between the shoot growth and the growth of the two main bines on that twine.

Should I just chill out and let those side shoots grow uninhibited? I have read in this forum that those shoots are the biggest cone producers so I don't want to mess up a good thing just because it looks like a jungle.

I have a first year Magnum that has exceeded my expectations, growing to over 15 feet and already producing many cones. However, just as it stopped growing upwards, the bottom 5 feet of the plant have produced at least 20 side shoots. It is almost comical the growth that is occurring in that one area of that plant. I've been trying to train them as they appear but that part of the plant is becoming very tangled between the shoot growth and the growth of the two main bines on that twine.

Should I just chill out and let those side shoots grow uninhibited? I have read in this forum that those shoots are the biggest cone producers so I don't want to mess up a good thing just because it looks like a jungle.

Chill Out. Hops grow verticle, then they grow Horizonal (Side Arms) Leave the Side Arms Alone....the next stage is burrs, then Cones.

I've also have a few extra shoots. Can these be replanted if trimmed? Just something I was thinking about while checking my hops earlier.

Cheers

Back