will chinook overpower this brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
making my first lager beer, and i just have a ton of chinook and chinook only at the moment... it's a dunkel, 98% munich 2% 135crystal. chinook at 75, 20 and flameout for 32 IBU. projected og 1.049

are chinook going to overpower this beer? looking for something recognizable as a trad. dunkel or at least american modern take on dunkel.

I like chinook and have used them in the past in many IPA's but they wouldn't work well in a dunkel imo the rest of the recipe looks good the 75-20-0 is what I use in my lagers

If you're sticking with Chinook I would use it sparingly for bittering and back off the late additions. Even as a bittering hop it tends to impart a harshness that might stand out in a dunkel... but if you enjoy Chinook then I say go for it and report back to us!

ok, thanks. i was planning on only like 14 grams of bittering which should equal about 22 IBU. it's so little! that oughta be cool right?

Back