Will beer carbonate faster with more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Had a problematic batch. Ended up pitching 2 forms of yeast in it during its fermentation - one of which was champagne yeast. 2 weeks after pitching the second yeast - the champagne one - I bottled with 5 ounces of priming sugar. My question is will the addition of the 2nd dose of yeast mean that this batch will bottle condition/carbonate faster than the usual "3 weeks at 70 degrees" rule?

If more yeast was transferred to the bottling bucket then yes, it will carb faster. You will also have more yeast sediment in your bottles though. You can check them out a week at a time and see where they are. I wouldn't put them in the fridge until you're satisfied with the carb levels though. I'd still wait the standard three weeks.

It probably will carb up faster. Just keep checking it after 2 weeks. Personally I'd still wait the 3 weeks because if there's one thing I've learned about beer It's that it's on its own schedule. They'll probably be better after 3 weeks anyway. Cheers!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back