Will airsoft kill a field mouse and not hurt my house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M@!

Reaction score
So I have this huge field behind my house and I am constantly getting field mice in my house. I have an exterminator but every couple months they come back. What do y'all think are the chances that I could blast these tiny suckers with any airsoft without destroying my house?

Ohh and gun recommendations appreciated!

I don't know if it would kill one, but it would definitely stun it. You may do some interior damage, depending on where you shoot, but not as bad as with a BB gun, trust me.

I was actually kind of surprised that the title to this thread was exactly what was inside... :D

I would say an airsoft would probably not do much good. A cat on the other hand... or a rat terrier... they might do the trick, and clean up the remains while they are at it ;)

One of these might work.

cro1377-2T.jpg

600 FPS

Crosman 1377 Air Pistol pellet gun at CobraAirguns.com

How often do you actually see a mouse and how good are your reflexes? It doesn't take much time for a mouse to go from the cupboard to under the stove. I just set traps. Some weeks I'll get 4-5. I'd probably get more, but I can't put traps anywhere the dogs can reach.

An airsoft gun is powerful enough to kill a mouse, but they are horribly inaccurate - the chance of you being able to hit a mouse with an airsoft gun are slim to none. But on the positive side, blasting away at mice sounds like fun. I say go for it, or just get a cat.

You'll have much better luck with traps.
Just avoid the sticky traps. Nothing worse that walking into a room with a squealing rodent struggling to free itself from a glue board with s*** all over. With a snap trap they are dead and easy to deal with.

Just be thankful you don't have sewer rats in the house. :)

Craig

Let me give you a piece of very good advice on mouse trap making. These traps are by far the absolute best and all they take is a 5gal pickle bucket a 12oz bottle, a dowel, antifreeze, and some peanut butter.

How its made: Drill 2 holes on opposite sides of the bucket as close to the lip as you can, slightly bigger than the dowel so it can spin freely. Drill through the cap of the 12oz plastic bottle and a hole at the bottom of the bottle so you can insert the dowel. Assemble the dowel, bucket, bottle combo by sliding the dowel through one hole in the bucket, through the bottle, and then through the other side of the bucket. Now you spread some peanut butter on the outside of the bottle, pour in some antifreeze to a deapth of about 2" in the bucket. Place the bucket in the desired place you would like to catch the mice getting into the house, and make sure there is a ramp leading up to the rim of the bucket. Once they climb up the ramp, they try to make it to the peanut butter but fall in as they try to hold on to the plastic bottle thats now spinning from their unbalanced weight as they step on to it.

The antifreeze will stop the decomposing mice from smelling like death if you forget to check the trap for a week or 2, the peanut butter really attracts the mice. We have 2 of these at our cabin to combat the small number of mice that get into the place. Havent seen a mouse in a year now.

Hope this helps.

Let me give you a piece of very good advice on mouse trap making. These traps are by far the absolute best and all they take is a 5gal pickle bucket a 12oz bottle, a dowel, antifreeze, and some peanut butter.

How its made: Drill 2 holes on opposite sides of the bucket as close to the lip as you can, slightly bigger than the dowel so it can spin freely. Drill through the cap of the 12oz plastic bottle and a hole at the bottom of the bottle so you can insert the dowel. Assemble the dowel, bucket, bottle combo by sliding the dowel through one hole in the bucket, through the bottle, and then through the other side of the bucket. Now you spread some peanut butter on the outside of the bottle, pour in some antifreeze to a deapth of about 2" in the bucket. Place the bucket in the desired place you would like to catch the mice getting into the house, and make sure there is a ramp leading up to the rim of the bucket. Once they climb up the ramp, they try to make it to the peanut butter but fall in as they try to hold on to the plastic bottle thats now spinning from their unbalanced weight as they step on to it.

The antifreeze will stop the decomposing mice from smelling like death if you forget to check the trap for a week or 2, the peanut butter really attracts the mice. We have 2 of these at our cabin to combat the small number of mice that get into the place. Havent seen a mouse in a year now.

Hope this helps.

+1 on this trap recommendation ... a repeater is the best trap you can make.

Remember though, if you have pets you'll want to just add water and no antifreeze or keep the pets away from the trap.

Hope this helps.

+2 - We use these at our old farm also and work like a champ.

I've thought about sniping at mice in the basement with a air rifle and a NV scope. Can't justify the $1400 for the scope, though.

This gun is AWESOME...my dad bought me one for my 10th birthday. Very deadly to squirrels, birds, mice, etc. and fairly accurate at medium distances due to the long barrel. I recommend the pointed pellets for maximum penetration. Just watch how many times you pump it...once or twice is plenty for indoors. Any more than that will damage wood, tile, drywall, and anything else it hits.

I wouldn't recommend an airsoft gun. I've seen cheapo airsoft guns go through pie tins and pop cans. They are wildly inaccurate and hit everything except what you're shooting at.

Trap is probably the best solution.

Latest posts

Back