Wildflower actively fermenting for three weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krud

Reaction score
15 lbs of wildflower honey topped with water
White labs sweet mead yeast, two tablespoons yeast nutrient
NO OTHER CONTROLS

Hello was just wondering about this 20 bubbles per minute after three weeks? I've made several other traditional meads but I think maybe this is the first one I made a starter for and SHOOK the crap out of the bottle before pitching starter ( reg 5 gal carbouy)
My 100% Buckwheat ( Everything I read said 40% buck at the most cut with several other one gallon batches) took two weeks to stop fermenting with the same yeast, also have 100% fireweed sitting right next to it that was pitched with the same yeast at the same time that's already in secondary and clearing. Any help would be nice! I'm not really worried about it as I've learned to love cloudy traditional ( No Sulfites added... dont know why ) mead. I'm just wondering about the dryness if it's still fermenting this late in the game... or is it late?

15 lbs of wildflower honey topped with water
White labs sweet mead yeast, two tablespoons yeast nutrient
NO OTHER CONTROLS

Hello was just wondering about this 20 bubbles per minute after three weeks? I've made several other traditional meads but I think maybe this is the first one I made a starter for and SHOOK the crap out of the bottle before pitching starter ( reg 5 gal carbouy)
My 100% Buckwheat ( Everything I read said 40% buck at the most cut with several other one gallon batches) took two weeks to stop fermenting with the same yeast, also have 100% fireweed sitting right next to it that was pitched with the same yeast at the same time that's already in secondary and clearing. Any help would be nice! I'm not really worried about it as I've learned to love cloudy traditional ( No Sulfites added... dont know why ) mead. I'm just wondering about the dryness if it's still fermenting this late in the game... or is it late?
Nah! just let it go as is......... it's sweet mead yeast that you've used, which, IMO, is rubbish as it's so finnicky to use..... Usually poops out at 11% ABV, as for drinking meads cloudy ? bleargh! Rack it off the lees when it's finished and just let it clear naturally. If it's not clearing in 2 or 3 months then think about using finings......

The Whitelabs could take this dry, but yes, it can be finicky.

The best way to know where it is would be to measure the current gravity and see. That will tell you more than, time, bubble rate, or guessing.

I'm with Fatbloke on the cloudy mead - painful to the eye and rough on the palate!

Medsen

Latest posts

Back