Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Wild Pecan Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That being said, I will be curious to see how the bottled beer comes out versus the keg. I bottled 3 gallons with 3 ounces of priming sugar. So it will be interesting.

Im debating making this recipe with just all Maris Otter? I have 55# of it and no standard 2 row..if anything i would think it would help with getting the malty nutty flavor? Or would it be overkill?

Im debating making this recipe with just all Maris Otter? I have 55# of it and no standard 2 row..if anything i would think it would help with getting the malty nutty flavor? Or would it be overkill?

It might come out a little to much on the yellow side to be considered a Porter...

Just brewed this up today. Can't wait. Will report back. Using Nottingham ale yeast. All else per recipe. I found putting the roasted pecan pieces in paper bags for a couple of days really helped wick out the oils.

I couldn't help adding a little uncalled for fruit flavor hops. Mistake....I think....well maybe not...trail mix?

The jury is in. It took a while for the pecan flavors to develop, but now that they have, it is very nice indeed. Very drinkable. The head certainly has pecan aroma/taste and the aftertaste is definitely one of pecan. It isn't a 'heavy' beer; in fact I think it could use a bit more body to be a more robust porter. I followed a mashing profile that should have ensured that, so next time I think I will adjust the grain bill to get a bit more body.

I have always thought it could use a little more body, but it was so good, i didnt want to tinker with it. I usually just mash a little higher. Let me know what you do and how it turns out.

It seemed like both judges enjoyed it and mostly good things to say about it. One thing both judges knocked me on was a slight astringency from the dark malts. I think I might have sparged a little too long as well. Maybe if I correct that for next time I can win a medal with this.

That would be awesome! Ive entered into one comp myself. It's been several years ago, but as i recall, my score was in the same range. Maybe it's time to enter another.

theres seems to be some sort of alien turd stuck to your glass.

whats the reasoning behind mashing the pecans ? grain might soak up a little oil?

I harvest pecans off our cattle ranch and been looking for a way to make beer with them. I have never made beer so this will be a test for sure. We have the small native pecans with a lot of oil in them. I normally harvest between 10,000-20,000 lbs. I held back about 70 lbs to test on making a beer.

Back