Wild hops of unknown origin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
I live in Belgium and there's an abbey near my home with wild hops growing around it (yes I know it sounds so Belgian). I have a batch fermenting and thought about siphoning off a bit into secondary while dry-hopping with these wild hops. The problem is I have no idea what variant of hops these are and if they are even suitable for brewing (in fact, at a local market, a seller had hop rhizomes which he claimed should NOT be used for brewing).

It might be fun to experiment with but I don't know if it's something that's doomed for failure (i.e., are brewing hops carefully selected for and quite different than wild hops). I think the risk is lower since I'm not using them for bittering and therefore IBUs don't matter as much. But I don't want to ruin beer, even if it's a 1-2 gallon bit I siphoned off, if the hops taste like pine tar.

Anyone with experience here? Should I do it?

I would split up your batch and dry hop half/quarter of it. That way if the hops turn out bad you still have half of your work to show for (I would be more afraid of mismatch on styles between your beer and the hops...commercial hops and wild hops are basically the same).

The only way to identify them is to take detailed close up pictures of the cones and leaves, then match them up to a database/encyclopedia.

if the hops are ready too be picked then break open a few, rub them in your hands and smell them. if you like the smell feel free to use em.

im guessing the rhizomes that are not used for brewing are the male plants :confused:

why would you be afraid of that?

I mean,, its still beer. right?

I just mean that if you are making certain styles of beer, amarillo/simcoe/"C hops" would probably not be your best choices. And since I have little knowledge of what grows in belgium that would be the only thing I would caution

I doubt the hops he found are anything besides something typically found in Belgium. Though there is a chance of invading non native species taking root there I bet it's not an american style C hop. However he still has not said what type of beer he in fact made. If it's something that a european style beer than I think the hops won't do anything bad to the beer.....

Back