Wifi Digital Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I was looking to see if anyone had info on a DIY build

Thanks

At this point its still the holy grail of DIY brewing gear imho...everyone wants one if its at the right price, i'd love to put some time into it at some point in the next year or so. There are a lot of great ideas and some prototypes of things here and on Reddit but nothing is really fleshed out for a reproducible product.

Been reading about the BeerBug but it seems the majority are not really happy with the accuracy and price. Anyone have one that would share pros and cons?

Thanks

Been reading about the BeerBug but it seems the majority are not really happy with the accuracy and price. Anyone have one that would share pros and cons?

Thanks

First question to answer is what do you want it for, as that will determine what you can/cannot do and what you do or don't have to take into account.
A fermentation monitoring hydrometer is going to be different to an inline fly sparging monitor.
What exactly do you want to use this hydrometer for?

Very difficult thing to make accurate. CO2 bubbles will upset the reading during active fermentation.

Im wanting it for fermentation temps and hydrometer readings during fermentation.

I have always wondered about just putting a hydrometer in the primary (obviously talking about a carboy here). Then I wouldn't have to touch it to find out the gravity. Only problem I see it the CO2 bubbles raising it up. Krausen would be a problem too but I'm not really interested in the gravity until after that falls.

Perhaps you could work the WiFi to vibrate the hydrometer before taking a reading to shake off the CO2, and have the hydrometer "probe" be fully submerged to avoid krausen. Still seems complex, which is probably why no one has figure out a cost effective way to make this happen.

I have always wondered about just putting a hydrometer in the primary (obviously talking about a carboy here). Then I wouldn't have to touch it to find out the gravity. Only problem I see it the CO2 bubbles raising it up. Krausen would be a problem too but I'm not really interested in the gravity until after that falls.

I think even bigger than co2 bubbles is krausen and gunk effecting the reading. I get the co2 varies over time, and the gunk accumulates over time, so you end up with almost no precision. oh, and getting it in and out without shattering it would be a hassle.

Latest posts

Back